Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 98 1200 Custom and I am going to convert to chain drive. The stock rear pulley is 61t and the front is 29t which gives me a 2.1034:1 ratio. When I convert to a chain the nearest I can get to that ratio is either 51t rear with a 25t front for a 2.0400:1 or 51t rear with a 24t front for a 2.1250:1. The first option should give me more speed with less power and the second option should give me more power with less speed.
If anyone has ever converted and sees any flaws in my thinking please give me your opinions. :what?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
While I don't know why you'd want to switch, either will work. There is very little difference in the ratios.

·
Retired citizen
22,072 Posts
I would stick with the ratio that's closest to stock, that'll keep the vibrations at about the same RPMs as stock.

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While I don't know why you'd want to switch, either will work. There is very little difference in the ratios.
I want the chain because I like a more old school or retro look. Very little difference in ratios can cause quite a bit of difference in performance.
:biker:

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone on another forum said there may be clearance problems with the 24 and 25 tooth front sprocket so I may need to go with 46t rear - 22t front = 2.0909:1 ratio = more speed/less power or 47t rear - 22t front = 2.1364:1 ratio = more power/less speed. One guy said he is using 49t rear - 23t front = 2.1304:1 ratio which means slightly more power and slightly higher rpm's at high speed over stock.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Be aware, regardless of what you ay hear. It's not more power or more speed. It's really a matter or slightly faster acceleration or slower acceleration, and a matter of where the natural vibrations set in. Like Schmidty, I say choose the closest to original ratio. 2.1364 ad 2.1304 are so close no reason to worry.

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be aware, regardless of what you ay hear. It's not more power or more speed. It's really a matter or slightly faster acceleration or slower acceleration, and a matter of where the natural vibrations set in. Like Schmidty, I say choose the closest to original ratio. 2.1364 ad 2.1304 are so close no reason to worry.
Yeah, I guess the main thing is just availablity of the sprocket sizes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts