Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bike out last night. Started fine, idled good. Got about 1 mile away and bike stalled at about 30 mph, no tach. :( Started again but kept stalling, wouldn't maintain an idle. Definately running rich. Finally started and got it home didn't get below 30 mph until coming up to the driveway. Just finished with a top end on the bike. Pulled the plugs when I got home, both black. Running the Bendix on a 48 pan 74in. with a 440 sifton cam. Have the adjustable main jet. Rebuilt the carb. Set the float at 3/16 in. from base holding upside down. Idle adjustment set at about 1 3/4 turns. Turned the idle screw until motor chugged from being lean, backed of 1/8 of a turn. I did not replace the Idle adjustment needle mixture. Could it possible be that the idle needle is worn? :eek7 Wouldn't think that would be the case but I've run out of answers. I've ran it several times since and it'll idle for a few minutes fine and then stall. Anyone ever encounter this type of problem? I'm ready to pull the carb off along with my hair. :pull I've got a S&S super B I can install but I like the fact that I have a accelerator pump on the Bendix for ease of kick starting. Any suggestion as to the size main jet and idle tube I should start out with if I follow this route?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I would take a look at the needle valve and float before doing anything else.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Brass float needs to be checked for leaks, and those adjustable main jets for Bnedix are known to vibrate and wear the jet seat out and mess up the needle, giving you a rich adjustment.

Remove the needle and look for the telltale "ring" around it from wear. I never had much luck with them long.

Take the float out and check it for leaks, in hot water, looking for bubbles, or by shaking it.

I had a Bendix on my '72, and it was the best carb ever.....when it worked right, but it took a bit to dial in.

Let me see if I can dig up what main/idle jet I used....

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
If the idel screw was bottomed out its junk and possibil damage to carb body .I had a Bendix/zenith hated em I put a S&S super shorty E on her and call it quits.love 1 To 2 Kicks evertime.But who am I .I like to run my neck......lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts