Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, folks, I have a friend with a 97 Softail that is trying to get every last drop of performance out of his bike. His dealership told him to get a Thunderheader, but he's kinda squeamish on the price ($900 quoted w/ shields!). He's already done head, cam, carb, ignition, etc...
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thunder header is a great pipe, I relly like 'em.
However, I prefer the (old) 2-1 pipe with Harley-Davidson engraved on the muffler. It is a street legal pipe, but the baffle can be removed and an SE one installed (if you wish)
It has a nice quiet rummble at idle and part throttle slow cruising (read coming home very very late and not wanting to wake the wife/girlfriend/dog/niegbourhood) and at hard acceleration it sounds so sweet!!!
Can get you part numbers if you wish.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Ok, folks, I have a friend with a 97 Softail that is trying to get every last drop of performance out of his bike. His dealership told him to get a Thunderheader, but he's kinda squeamish on the price ($900 quoted w/ shields!). He's already done head, cam, carb, ignition, etc...

Thanks in advance!
A Vance & Hines 2-1 would also be an effective option, at a lower price. When placed on my Softail Heritage I noticed an immediate seat-of-pants improvement... and can't always say have with other mods/exhausts.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
I picked up a 2 into 1 Reinhart exhaust system off e-bay for 399.95 brand new and there awesome.

·
Registered
40,799 Posts
I paid $535 for my Thunderheaders (black ceramic) sans heat shields 1 1/2 years ago.

You can get chrome with heatshields here http://www.gopartsdirect.com for $588. Might be able to find them cheaper, that was just the first place I looked...

What exhaust is he running now?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know someone that has a Samson Caliber 2-1 for sale that would fit. I almost bought it for my 97. I think he wanted $250 for it and only had it on his bike for 1000 miles at most. I don't know how they compare to a Thunderheader or V&H.

http://www.caliberexhaust.com/

I just saw this is 6 month old thread, probably already found an exhaust by now.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

Thanks in advance!

Vance and Hines ProPipe 2>1 made my bike dance real purty. She sounds nice too. Low and mellow at slow speeds and barks like a Rottweiler under heavy twisting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The V&H Pro Pipe is probably the best 2-1 for the TC 88 engine. There are others out there, but this is one of the best and easy to get. Another good one is the LSR by RB racing,

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/lsr21.htm

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Every test I have ever seen shows the Thunderheader coming out ahead albeit not by very much over the V&H and SuperTrapp. These 3 pipes seem to be the perinial winners in the shoot outs. But the difference in performance is so small that I would go with other than the Thunderheader if there was any compelling reason and feel perfectly fine with my decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts