Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ya guys got for recommendations on internal engine cleaners. I’ve changed oils but I feel like I need to do a flush because bike sat for 7 years and I can’t imagine that changing the oil is sufficient enough.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I have a hell of a fuel issue I replaced spark plugs and the new plugs immediately turned black. Just wondering what I could do to clean/flush the system. I’m aware that the carb needs tuned but just trying to pick the brains of some veteran bike owners.

· Registered
2,211 Posts
The Panheads and Knuckleheads Manual said to drain oil tank and fill with kerosene then roll motor over several times, then drain tank and fill with oil.
The last panhead was made almost 60 years ago...

Oil technology and engine technology have changed.

My Evo service manual had the same recommendation about flushing the tank with kerosene in 1989, it was an outdated idea then.

There is no reason to go crazy worrying about sludge in the crankcases, there is none.

Fresh oil with no snake oil additives will clean the inside of the engine nicely.

· Registered
116 Posts
I don't believe in any "snake Oil" miracle cleaners in a can. An oil change is really all you need as mentioned before. As for black carbon, I'd change my air filter and clean all carburetor jets. I assume you completely drained the entire fuel system so you could rule that out. If all that fails I'd look for valve burnout.. A leak down test will will determine their condition. Hope it's fuel/air related. Best of luck.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't believe in any "snake Oil" miracle cleaners in a can. An oil change is really all you need as mentioned before. As for black carbon, I'd change my air filter and clean all carburetor jets. I assume you completely drained the entire fuel system so you could rule that out. If all that fails I'd look for valve burnout.. A leak down test will will determine their condition. Hope it's fuel/air related. Best of luck.
I did drain all fuel and fuel related components prior to even starting the bike. Cleaned carburetor and Jets hanged oil (haven’t used a miracle cleaner yet.) changed spark plugs and now I believe it’s all in the carburetor adjustment screws. Mabey too much fuel? Just waiting on a decent enough day to get out there and fire it up and try to adjust the screws on carb. This is my first carb adjusted so wish me luck!

· Retired citizen
26,699 Posts
I did drain all fuel and fuel related components prior to even starting the bike. Cleaned carburetor and Jets hanged oil (haven’t used a miracle cleaner yet.) changed spark plugs and now I believe it’s all in the carburetor adjustment screws. Mabey too much fuel? Just waiting on a decent enough day to get out there and fire it up and try to adjust the screws on carb. This is my first carb adjusted so wish me luck!
Good luck buddy but don't rely on luck itself ! Read the directions and then ask questions here if in doubt.

· Barney Fife - Poser
909 Posts
What was involved in "cleaning the carburetor"?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Taking it off motorcycle took it apart replaced o rings and throttle diaphragm along with springs and ball valves. Cleaned Jets with guitar wire and maxes sure carb cleaner was sprayed through each one until even dispersed through each hole in Jets. Put back together and I’m stuck on where to start with the adjustment screws the “directions” say to lightly seat them and start engine and work 1 1/4 turn back until it idolswhere u want it to but the problem is it will not start if all screw are in.

· Barney Fife - Poser
909 Posts
Taking it off motorcycle took it apart replaced o rings and throttle diaphragm along with springs and ball valves. Cleaned Jets with guitar wire and maxes sure carb cleaner was sprayed through each one until even dispersed through each hole in Jets. Put back together and I’m stuck on where to start with the adjustment screws the “directions” say to lightly seat them and start engine and work 1 1/4 turn back until it idolswhere u want it to but the problem is it will not start if all screw are in.
Try backing the screws out before you start the engine.

Are there any vacuum ports? All hoses and caps in place and in good shape?

Are the spark plugs black and wet or black and dry?

What do you think you need to flush out of what system?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Try backing the screws out before you start the engine.

Are there any vacuum ports? All hoses and caps in place and in good shape?

Are the spark plugs black and wet or black and dry?

What do you think you need to flush out of what system?
Spark plugs are black and dry all hoses clamp etc are in good shape and was just wondering if I should flush the oil system but have been told multiple times the oil change I did was sufficient enough and I already flushed fuel system when I took off tank and carb.

· Registered
26 Posts
I recently picked up a 07 Road King that sat for 15 years. Emptied the old gas. Pulled the plugs and added some seafoam to the holes. Filled the tank and added the rest of the seafoam. Cleaned up the fuel system straight away runs like a champ. Dumped the fluids and refilled with RED LINE for 3 holes. No issues. I did switch to a reusable oil filter. I like em as they act as a small cooler and flow a lot more oil while cleaning the oil to smaller particles. They also do not bypass when you first start up. The King runs great.

· Registered
4 Posts
New guy here, thought I would throw .02 in . If you check the color of the plug while sitting you are only getting the idle jet read. Old school was to hit the kill switch at mid to high speed , pull clutch & coast to the side of the road , then you can get a better read on the plugs condition from main jet. fwiw this advice is worth exactly what it cost, ha ; good luck tuning her.

· Registered
7,604 Posts
New guy here, thought I would throw .02 in . If you check the color of the plug while sitting you are only getting the idle jet read. Old school was to hit the kill switch at mid to high speed , pull clutch & coast to the side of the road , then you can get a better read on the plugs condition from main jet. fwiw this advice is worth exactly what it cost, ha ; good luck tuning her.
Yup!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts