Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Road King and I want to add additional indicators to the front of the bike - part of customising the style.

My question is, where is the best place to connect in to the power going to the two front indicators? Is there a convenient panel somewhere in the front stem, say behind the headlight, or will I need to run from the fuse box under the seat? I would rather not just cut in to the wires and add an additional junction if I can avoid it.

I have the Haynes manual and have looked around the bike but not yet found a suitable location. I've not yet removed the headlight fitting.

·
Retired citizen
24,275 Posts
You would need to wire into the existing signal light wires if you want the extra lights to funtion as signals.

Reactions: 163009

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I put additional l.e.d. signals on my E.Glide. The wires are thin, I just "tinned" the wires with solder, and pushed them into the connectors next to the pin. Then tape or ty wrap close. 6 years with no problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was that in to the connectors under the seat or in to the indicator connectors within the indicator housing itself?

·
Retired citizen
24,275 Posts
By indicators I'm assuming you mean directionals. The directional connectors are inside the headlight nacelle.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Was that in to the connectors under the seat or in to the indicator connectors within the indicator housing itself?

I used the connector that the turn signal wire plugs in. L.E.D.'s are polarity sensitive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, directionals, turn signals, indicators, etc. Sorry I only just learned to ride and don't yet know the right terminology.

I'll check out behind the headlight and take apart the directionals too.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I removed the headlight and plenty of cables to tap in to there which is good. I finally managed to take apart the right turn signal housing but the wires are not clipped or pinned in - they are permanently wired so no easy way to tap in. Also the colouring of the wires were exactly what the Haynes manual says should be on the left. Unless it's left as you look at the front as opposed to the one that flashes when you want to turn left?

There's a black (ground), blue, and a purple. Why 3 for a bulb? Is one some kind of detector for failed bulbs?

·
Retired citizen
24,275 Posts
Blue is the running light and violet is the turn signal. Brown is the opposite turn signal.

Reactions: 163009
1 - 11 of 11 Posts