Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.... Just want to start out by saying thank you forall the info iI have read on the forum before I became a member.
With that said I need your guys help, I have a 05 Road King Custom EFI and I just installed MGS custom bike exhaust and running true dual headers. Now Iam tthinking that I need to install a tuner to get the engine to perform top notch. Can anyone out give me some feed back on what you think is a good tuner for a novice rider and keeping the budget in mind.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey all.... Just want to start out by saying thank you forall the info iI have read on the forum before I became a member.
With that said I need your guys help, I have a 05 Road King Custom EFI and I just installed MGS custom bike exhaust and running true dual headers. Now Iam tthinking that I need to install a tuner to get the engine to perform top notch. Can anyone out give me some feed back on what you think is a good tuner for a novice rider and keeping the budget in mind.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Plenty of good tuners out there and lots of threads on this site,do a search and you should find several. I would go with an auto tuner,as far as best that's opinion based I would just do some research. Whats a budget??? ha ha ha

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
When we ship engines/kits to our clients, we suggest to contact a reputable independent tuner in your area,(and many times we can help with that also) and then follow his lead as to what tuning device to use, that way you'll get the best he has to offer you.:thumbsup
Scott

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
I've also been very pleased with my power commander. I would suggest you do as hillside recommends by finding someone local that knows what they're doing and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since you don't have o2 sensors buy a Power vision from Dynojet. You won't be able to use auto tune since no 02 sensors. Just ask Dynojet for a tune for you bike. They will send one by email.

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
When we ship engines/kits to our clients, we suggest to contact a reputable independent tuner in your area,(and many times we can help with that also) and then follow his lead as to what tuning device to use, that way you'll get the best he has to offer you.:thumbsup
Scott
do you carry O2 sensors for T-Max?

Somewhere I heard about getting sensors from an autoparts store is cheaper and they cross reference. If so, what's the part number.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Since you don't have o2 sensors buy a Power vision from Dynojet. You won't be able to use auto tune since no 02 sensors. Just ask Dynojet for a tune for you bike. They will send one by email.
I agree, love my Power Vision. Easy to install and program. Great monitoring features. Also you can buy a license and use it on your next bike. (depending on year)

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
If you check with the folks who make your exhaust, they can usually tell you if you need a tuner or just a remap. In most cases a remap from your local Harley dealer will be all that you need and it is a lot less expensive than a tuner and a lot less complicated overall.

I put in a V&H tuner when I installed a D&D 2-into-1 Fat-Cat exhaust. I later found that that I could have just had Harley do a remap. The V&H tuner is fairly basic and easy to tune. Some of the other tuners on the market are more sophisticated and considerably harder to tune properly.

If you need a tuner, the V&H tuner does a good job and most people can figure out how to tune it. If you want to have access to more detailed functions and more information, the Power Commander tuners are an option. My experience with Power Commander tuners is that they can be a lot tougher to tune and some riders never find the right tune.

Pete

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you check with the folks who make your exhaust, they can usually tell you if you need a tuner or just a remap. In most cases a remap from your local Harley dealer will be all that you need and it is a lot less expensive than a tuner and a lot less complicated overall.

I put in a V&H tuner when I installed a D&D 2-into-1 Fat-Cat exhaust. I later found that that I could have just had Harley do a remap. The V&H tuner is fairly basic and easy to tune. Some of the other tuners on the market are more sophisticated and considerably harder to tune properly.

If you need a tuner, the V&H tuner does a good job and most people can figure out how to tune it. If you want to have access to more detailed functions and more information, the Power Commander tuners are an option. My experience with Power Commander tuners is that they can be a lot tougher to tune and some riders never find the right tune.

Pete

I got a tuner since according to the dealerships in AZ they can "remap" but their tunes do not increase fuel mixture. They told me they would do the remap but the bike would still be lean and still pop bad on deceleration.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
I had a Power Commander V on my Yamaha, but I have the V&H Fuel Pack (FP3) on my Harley 1200T. I think the FP3 is more advanced then the Power Commander. The FP3 has a better phone app for viewing bike performance & remapping, and it doesn't have to stay connected to the bike. Not sure how it will work with your bikes set up. My 2014 1200T came with a quick connect harness that I plug the FP3 into.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
As mentioned - get a tuner that someone in your area is familiar with and knows how to use to get a proper tune. If you get a power commander and your tune guy is only familiar with the Screaming Eagle tuner, you have wasted your money.

I have a Power Vision and I am riding from here in Wyoming thru Wisconson this summer on my way to the east coast just to stop in Little Chute Wi. so Fuel Moto can dyno my bike with the power vision. No body around here knows how to tune with it and I have found that the generic pre canned map or reflashing an ECM is not close enough for me. JMO

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have a Power Vision on my 2010 XL1200X Forty Eight. I purchased the auto tune upgrade for it and use that. I am thinking about doing engine work next winter at Hillside, in which case I will get it dyno'd.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts