Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a '99 Dyna Wide Glide that has a sport windshied on it. Dandy little machine with less than 6,000 actual miles but.....the sport windshield doesn't suit me.

What windshield will deflect the most wind? :confused:

Thanks,
Wyoman

P.S. I'd like to stick with a HD windshield.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I think it has been somewhat established that Dyna windshields suck. Nathan has the most experience dicking with them. I gave up on mine, the buffeting was too much.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
wyoman... A larger screen in the Part & Accessories catalog will help some, but would note defecting wind on the WG is a challenge. I adored a Wide Glide for years. Much of the wind comes up from underneath, and never came across a shield that could manage/block this. Plus, WG shields tend to be at an angle not far from the rake of the forks. This also doesn't help. The P&A catalog has a nice detachable screen that leaves no brackets on the WG when taken off. You might find being out in the clean wind to deliver the cleanest, non-buffeting air.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mornin'.

The P&A catalog has a nice detachable screen that leaves no brackets on the WG when taken off. You might find being out in the clean wind to deliver the cleanest, non-buffeting air.
Not the kind of information I was hoping for.:(

But I appreciate it. The buffeting over 60 is so bad, it causes some vision aggravation. I don't know if I want to go without a screen or not. I don't cherish running into a bird or something bigger. What to do. :confused:

I guess I'll get by for a while but a long road trip looks like it would be out of the question. The buffeting would wear a person out.

Is the "P&A" catalog on this site or are we talking the HD site?

Anyone with ideas on this would be appreciated.

Wyoman

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
wyoman... To be sure, I've taken the WG on long 2000 mile trips with the result being a major grin between the ears. You're just not going to get the kind of quiet, no breeze ride where one would be willing to circumcise a baby boy while going down the road (Great analogy eh? :)).

You know, I always wear ear plugs on the H-D, and this could help a great deal.

The P&A (Parts & Accessories) catalog is delivered to owners of new H-D's by H-D, but it can also be picked up at your dealer. You will find pages of windshield options for your bike. A bigger windshield on your WG will probably remove 70% of the wind, but it could also introduce some dirty/buffeted wind as well. Sometimes this depends upon your height and the length of your legs -- serious, my long legs (36" inseam) with the knees out front more, helped block some of the wind coming up from underneath.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
I'm convinced all of the wind buffeting is air deflected directly up off my thighs.

Just to see if it would make your long trip do-able,
try an experiment with something to break up that solid air deflection.

Let's call it a disturb-ulator.

I got scoffed at earlier for suggesting it, but I was going to try a cord with a few large wooden beads,
or something, about the size of walnuts to corrupt the airflow, and strung on a cord wrapped
around each leg above the knee, so the beads or whatever are only on the front/top of your leg.
Maybe some PVC pipe caps or fittings of some kind, or a 4" section of large size decorative plastic chain,
probably painted some dark color so it doesn't look quite so goofy.

I'd be willing to look a little goofy, to kill off the wind buffeting on a long trip.

I have been using my quick clamp on and off Harley windshield lately,
with the clamps locked on the fork tubes right below the lower triple tree,
the compression of the front forks hasn't hit it yet, having it lower seems to have
reduced the buffeting. The top of the shield is at about my chin level.

This plastic chain is about a dollar a foot, comes in black, probably have it at Lowe's or Home Depot,
tie it on your leg with a bootlace, see if it works.

Somebody (like MIKE) will say "no way I'd put up with something like that"
but then, we don't REALLY like the idea of a windshield either, do we?

Just FYI, this product maybe more appealing on a trip than it is around town, it seals the bottom of a full coverage helmet.
That another thing I'm convinced of, a full coverage helmet lets the wind buffeting cause an eye-boggling booming
inside my helmet that wouldn't be there on a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windjammer/helmet-wind-blocker.htm

Attachments

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I got scoffed at earlier for suggesting it,
I don't think anyone scoffed you, just didn't like what the end result would look like.

And yes, I am somewhat a bit of an old fart. If one wants a windshield and room to carry all the groceries just buy a pickup truck instead of an Electra Glide. :eek::D I don't get the whole removing yourself from everything a motorcycle is about. BUT!!!!! If I had a windshield that did not become the major visual cue on a motorcycle and worked well I surely would enjoy it on the longer rides.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
That another thing I'm convinced of, a full coverage helmet lets the wind buffeting cause an eye-boggling booming
inside my helmet that wouldn't be there on a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet
]
Absolutely the same as my experience showed me. Minimal buffeting with a less than full face helmet on. Still ugly as hell, but less buffeting.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I'm convinced all of the wind buffeting is air deflected directly up off my thighs.

Oooh Oooh Oooh!!! Hot glue a bunch of flippin fringe along the lower edge. With chrome concho!! :dance:dance

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts

I got scoffed at earlier for suggesting it, but I was going to try a cord with a few large wooden beads,
or something, about the size of walnuts to corrupt the airflow, and strung on a cord wrapped
around each leg above the knee, so the beads or whatever are only on the front/top of your leg.
Maybe some PVC pipe caps or fittings of some kind, or a 4" section of large size decorative plastic chain,
probably painted some dark color so it doesn't look quite so goofy.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windjammer/helmet-wind-blocker.htm

You shouldnt a let that cat out the bag Nathang, It will be patented wearing an HD logo in a couple weeks.

I got a used windshield of Ebay for my XL, windshield only in the fact that it's clear. You couldnt hardly duck behind it to avoid anything but its just enough to take the wind off my chest which on long rides takes a surprising amount off the strain off holding on.

On my U classic I actually get my hair blown in my face from all the sucking the fairings and shield create.
I dont know that peoples idea of what a windshield will do is realistic.

More windshield isnt neccesarily a good thing.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Oooh Oooh Oooh!!! Hot glue a bunch of flippin fringe along the lower edge. With chrome concho!! :dance:dance
I think Id happily wear the fringe and a crap load of conchoes to camoflauge the other stuff.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Absolutely the same as my experience showed me. Minimal buffeting with a less than full face helmet on. Still ugly as hell, but less buffeting.
My best helmet is a crappy little plastic novelty "German" with the flanging cut off, like as in a German Para helmet. Its too small so alota foam came out but it dont fit my head like a steak house salad bowl, extremly light minimal drag and apperently satifies the LEO's in my area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 Dyna with a windshield but i am trying to also figure out a way to cut the wind coming up from the leg area. I have a crash bar. Why cant someone make a oval shape chrome piece to u bolt to the upper crash bar. i think it would be enough to break up that blast that comes up from the knee area.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I'd ditch the windshield altogether and go with a full-face. I couldn't bear the thought of putting a windshield on that purty bike - putting a picture window on a kicked-out front end is like wearing big ol' nurse shoes with a slinky cocktail dress...:eek:

Leather-and-chrome jingle ball fringe "garters"... who'da thunked it?:rofl:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts