Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Easy Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for more power for my superglide. When it comes to cars I know motors and cam specs, but bikes not so much! I want to get the 95" bore kit, but not sure which is the best and definitely not sure on the cam specs. I want a cam with killer torque and cut up pretty good too. I bought my bike from the original owner 4 years ago and he had put 28k miles on it. He and his wife went to Sturgis a lot!! Now as the bike sits it has 34,500 on it. Should I do something else besides a bore kit or would that be fine? Im wanting to convert my brother from his victory jackpot to a Harley....I am not far behind him now when we take off beside each other. Of course we haven't ran past about 80-90mph. But I know with a big bore kit Im pretty sure I can pull him and make him see that the bigger cubes don't always matter!! He knows that because we have always had fast cars! He has a 2002 z28 with 20k miles with a 5.3 turbo swap, that made 920 to the wheels! So he knows about displacement but, hes blinded when it comes to bikes I guess. Thanks guys for putting up with me on this long post!! Also thanks for any input you guys have!!

Lyle

·
Banned
71 Posts
I am looking for more power for my superglide. When it comes to cars I know motors and cam specs, but bikes not so much! I want to get the 95" bore kit, but not sure which is the best and definitely not sure on the cam specs. I want a cam with killer torque and cut up pretty good too. I bought my bike from the original owner 4 years ago and he had put 28k miles on it. He and his wife went to Sturgis a lot!! Now as the bike sits it has 34,500 on it. Should I do something else besides a bore kit or would that be fine? Im wanting to convert my brother from his victory jackpot to a Harley....I am not far behind him now when we take off beside each other. Of course we haven't ran past about 80-90mph. But I know with a big bore kit Im pretty sure I can pull him and make him see that the bigger cubes don't always matter!! He knows that because we have always had fast cars! He has a 2002 z28 with 20k miles with a 5.3 turbo swap, that made 920 to the wheels! So he knows about displacement but, hes blinded when it comes to bikes I guess. Thanks guys for putting up with me on this long post!! Also thanks for any input you guys have!!

Lyle
You could go big bore with SE211's for hp , or SE203's for torque .

I'm sure someone will chime in with other cams here soon . :)

·
Easy Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!! I would rather have trq!! That's what pushes right!!! :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
you can do up to a 97 if i remember what hillside said-
i would also switch to a new style cam plate with hydraulic tensioners oil pump and a conversion cam - or gear drive if you have a straight crank

as for cam- i know my andrews 48 pulls like jet tractor-

·
Easy Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of money for just parts are we talking though for all of that...?

·
Banned
71 Posts
What kind of money for just parts are we talking though for all of that...?
You can pick up a Big Bore kit with all gaskets , new jugs and pistons, SE air filter set up, and cams ( SE203, SE211) for 600 bucks on fleebay . Kit even has new valve seals and new breathers . All in one large box . :)

·
Easy Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What name brand kit is that? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I just want to make sure I'm getting everything I need. I also have read somewhere something about changing the cam tensioners?

·
Easy Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I know I can go 98" but I have been told that going from 88 to a 95 would be "safer." I don't ride my bike a lot, I have had it 4 years and put 6k miles on it. Usually just casual to town and back with the occasional 2 hr trip.....

·
Registered
42,156 Posts
No difference in reliability with the S&S cylinders.

·
Easy Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not really on a budget, but I don't want to put 1500 in the motor either....but $929 for just jugs and Pistons and no cams...I'm looking at 1100-1200 before any labor to install this right? How much should I expect install to cost me as well? I have several Harley dealerships around me and a certified Harley mechanic in a shop behind his house....but honestly I don't think I want him doing it. He's cheaper than dealerships, but I still don't get that good vibe from him...

·
Registered
42,156 Posts
~ 10 hours for the big bore install
~ 4 hours for cam install.

Don't think you're going to make it for $1500

·
Easy Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not even if I went the whole kit for 600 off fleabay??? Haha

·
Banned
71 Posts
What name brand kit is that? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I just want to make sure I'm getting everything I need. I also have read somewhere something about changing the cam tensioners?
It's a new old stock H-D kits . I've seen them on there on and off now for several years. Just have to do a SEARCH to find what you want . :)

You can find the newer Hybreed cam plate kits also

·
Easy Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I gotcha...Yeah I have been searching for some time now before I got back on here. Actually for about a couple months. I knew y'all would help me better than Google ha!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i picked up a set of as new cams for 75 bucks a set of as new pistons for 75 a set of jugs for 50-paid 250 to bore jugs and new rings -
120 for s&s lifters - had adjustable pushrods and roller rockers - did new s&s dual valve springs for 85 i think- paid 300 and change for a valve job and oversize intake valves- 150 for complete gasket set- did the work myself- tools cost around 250 more

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
FWIW, we have a special running.........your cyls bored using our 98" Wiseco pistons/Cometic gaskets set @ 10.0/S&S .570 E-Z Start cams, oil filter, plugs, Barnett cluth spring-------$998.00 plus ship.:)
Scott

·
Easy Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What could I expect out of that on a dyno? I know dyno is just a number but just curious....Thanks Hillsidecycleco!!

·
Easy Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i picked up a set of as new cams for 75 bucks a set of as new pistons for 75 a set of jugs for 50-paid 250 to bore jugs and new rings -
120 for s&s lifters - had adjustable pushrods and roller rockers - did new s&s dual valve springs for 85 i think- paid 300 and change for a valve job and oversize intake valves- 150 for complete gasket set- did the work myself- tools cost around 250 more
So what your saying is, I need to bring the bike to you??? haha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts