Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellows,
I am new on here and have seemed to find a deal on an 883R that I am having a hard time passing up. I really like the nightster but this bike is actually more blacked out which is what I want in a bike. My question is what all is involved in turning an 883 into a 1200, and how much does this cost on average?
Thanks,
Tuck

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
I donno about the Sportster big bore package, but a couple of years ago there were winter time labor specials on the TC88 big bore kit install.

...and if you're talking about new with a warranty, sometimes a bike develops an oil leak at the bottom of the cylinder sleeve, if they had to take a bike down to fix that then the labor of a big bore install is almost completely covered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
Any info is helpful as I try to decide if I should go with this bike. I did not realize that there were different kits other than the harley big bore. THis may be a stupid question but what sizes do the 88 and 90 take the engine out to. THe bike is not new but was sold to dealership for payoff for the owner to get out from under some debt, it has 1,000 miles on it, vance hines exhaust and they are asking 4,999 for it. It is a 883r, is this a good price on this bike?

·
COB
1,984 Posts
OK price, not a popular model, but I really like it.

You can get many 1200 BB kits. Most of them use specially designed pistons that weigh the same as the stock ones so you don't have to do any balancing to the bottom end, and the combustion chamber volume stays the same. Edlebrock has a good kit. You either have to bore your cylinders or buy new ones. With the cost of machine work it is almost a toss-up as it takes several passes to take off enough material. When I did mine I just bought a new set of cylinders from Harley and then sold my old cylinders and pistons on ebay....ended up almost free that way.

I think the 883 is a good looking bike.

The best technical resource for Sportsters is Sportster.org but the people on there can be kinda stuffy. I still look at their tech area when I have questions. One guy did a great story on taking a Sporty to 1340 cc (88 cu in).

The short of it is you can do a simple 883 to 1200 conversion for $800 give or take. You can also spend $5000 on a romping-stomping Zippers or Axtel motor. The bang for your buck ratio on the simple conversion is way worth the price. Sportsters can be a bit finicky about base gaskets, I only used James base gaskets and never had a leak.

Have fun!!

·
Registered
40,796 Posts
The 88" has a 3 13/16" bore and stock stroke of 3 13/16" for a displacement of 1427cc
the 90" has a 3 7/8" bore and stock stroke of 3 13/16" for a displacement of 1473cc

An 80" would be ~3 11/16", with stock stroke, that would = 1340cc, but would still require case boring as would the 88" or 90" kits

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess now would be a good time to ask before I take the chance of finding out the hard way later. Will the stock transmission handle these big bore kits or are there other things on the bike that you need to upgrade as well when you begin increasing the power of the stock motor.
Tuck

·
COB
1,984 Posts
You'll be fine. Generally, after you exceed 100-125 hp, then things like trannies, swingarms, and stock mounts become issues.
Agreed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts