Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Seeking an advice from more seasoned HD raiders.
I have V&H Big Shot Staggered on my 2014 Softail Slim and I am basically persuaded to replace the baffles with quieter ones. The reasons: hoping to get rid of the "metallic" sound you get and turn to a deeper tone sound.
As far as loudness, I don't mind the current level (it IS loud) but I wouldn't dislike a slightly less noise level.

I would like advice if go for
- V&H Quiet Baffles
or
- BCT QQ Baffles

What would you guys suggest me?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Didn't have a single reply...

Anyways, after quite a lot of research I decided to try the BCT QQ thunder monster baffles.

Will post results and impressions once installed

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Did not have an answer to your question. But I know the system is you are refering to is loud. Might be the only option is another system on your bike.
Lots of options but a lot of research also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

I finally got the standard baffles from my V&H replaced with BCT QQ.
Very, very happy and please with the upgrade!

The sound improved a lot. Much deeper and throatier. Same loudness ad idling (which I like) but more quiet while cruising. The metallic kind of high frequency sound is gone.

Price is way higher than competitor but, considering this as a permanent upgrade, I am satisfied and would buy them again.
On top of that, people from BCT are nice and helpful and happy to talk to you on the phone (which I appreciated and found helpful).

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
SlimPaul
After reading your post I watched some U tube vids. Those baffles sound pretty good. I kind of have the same problem,I put V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 on my 08 Rocker and installed Hard Core smart baffles along with the stock ones but it still sounds sort of 'tinny' to me....? I might have to think about the BCT.
Colt.45

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SlimPaul
After reading your post I watched some U tube vids. Those baffles sound pretty good. I kind of have the same problem,I put V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 on my 08 Rocker and installed Hard Core smart baffles along with the stock ones but it still sounds sort of 'tinny' to me....? I might have to think about the BCT.
Colt.45
Colt.45,
happy to share my thoughts and impressions!
I also looked many videos and, despite they are quite useful, it is far from the real thing of course..
I was basically deciding between V&H quite baffles and the BCT QQ.

Cannot compare with the V&H quite ones but now that I have the BCT I don't care looking into anything else.

It is my understanding, as instructed by the guys from BCT and based on the many experience I read about, that a good part of the performance and sound that you obtain is dependent on how you install them. Basically, the deeper you put them in, the better as long as the cone does not protrude into the head pipe

·
Registered
51 Posts
I put the V&H Quiet pacs in my staggered bigshots and they sound much better to me.

Softer but not too quiet.

I was trying to even out the midrange torque curve with some added back pressure. Have not been able to do a true test yet.
Will update.

'03 FatBoy

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thank you Slim, I have not decoded yet. I guess I'll give it a bit more time as I have only had these pipes for 2 rides.
Thanks........Colt.45

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I just got the V&H Quiet baffles for my BSS's. Haven't installed them yet because the head of the screw that holds the baffles in has the allen wrench hole rounded. (got them used).
I like the look and the sound of the pipes, but am trying to get them just a tad quieter. I like my neighbors and I want them to continue liking me. lol
The day of the install.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yeah that allen head screw seized up on mine and I also stripped it. Gotta drill them out, what a PITA.
Yeah, that's why the new baffles are still in the box. lol I just don't feel like pulling the exhaust off the bike. It gave me a PITA putting it on the first time. I'm waiting for a day when it's raining and there's nothing on the 'honey-do' list.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Yeah, that's why the new baffles are still in the box. lol I just don't feel like pulling the exhaust off the bike. It gave me a PITA putting it on the first time. I'm waiting for a day when it's raining and there's nothing on the 'honey-do' list.
Then you are never gonna get them put on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.