Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have an 02 1200C that I'm in the process of fitting a softail tank to the bike and I'm down to my last couple of things before painting the fenders to match the tank. My issue right now is what to do about the speedo. Previously, I had it relocated to the left side under the tank but with the fatter tank. I won't be able to see it. My options that I am planning is (1) fabricate an adapter plate to fit the stock sportster 4 Inch speedo in the dash that holds a 5 inch speedo (not as hard as it sounds). (2) find a softail or other model speedo that will fit the dash.

My main concern is will the larger speedo still register codes properly since it's going to read a completely different bike than it was made for? What do you think? I'm good either way, but I also don't have a ton of funds for this project so I have to keep it to a minimum.

·
Registered
42,923 Posts
Maybe you could adapt a lowrider dash to fit the softail tank?

The lowrider dash uses the smaller 4" gauges.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's a good idea, but I just checked and seems that the tank is set up a bit differently and I don't see how the dash would work on the softail tank.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's a cool mod, but it doesn't help mine. I'll have a dash that goes on top of the tank with a big hole in it. If I don't use the dash, I'll have a mounting bracket on top of the tank for nothing. Trust me guys, I like the other ideas, but I only have 2 options with the current setup; buy a softail speedo or fabricate an adapter plate to fit my 4 inch speedo in the 5 inch hole in the dash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts