Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
My son's bike was in the shop after his accident and he told the ins company that the bike was his only transportation. They gave him a rental CAR. Gag...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Sucks that summer is here and my 2009 Electra glide is gonna be in shop getting fixed after my accident, 10,000 in damages, why does it take so long?
You need to get the shop to increase the repair cost so the insurance company will just total the thing and you can get a new bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No kidding...have them check for some additional damages that weren't noticed initially. Sorry to hear you won't have a bike during some prime riding weather!

·
Retired citizen
22,315 Posts
Sucks that summer is here and my 2009 Electra glide is gonna be in shop getting fixed after my accident, 10,000 in damages, why does it take so long?

With that much in damages I suspect they're going to put a new frame on the bike. If that's the case the service dept. has to assign a mechanic to completely disassemble the bike first. The fork neck of the frame has to be cut off and then sent to the MoCo. The MoCo makes a new frame with the same serial number from the fork neck they received from the dealer then they ship the new frame back to the dealer. Next the mechanic gets assigned to reassemble the complete bike plus other parts that had been damaged, I'm guessing painted parts.
That back and forth stuff with the MoCo takes time !

The back and forth stuff with the MoCo takes time !

·
Registered
982 Posts

I feel ya. I went through the same thing last summer. Bike was in the shop for over 2 months. What took so long was getting painted replacement parts from Harley, i.e. gas tank, rear fender and frame.
The insurance company would not total the bike. It is a 2012 Fatboy, and had a little over $10,000 in damage. Really sucked it being in the shop during the major part of the summer with great weather.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts