Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at a red light today and put my FXDB into neutral. When the green light came on I put her into first and she cut out.I tried firing her up again but she wouldn't go. Looking at the screen on the speedo I noticed that it said the Jiffy stand was down ....but it wasn't. I took the bike off the road and tried looked her over. Couldn't figure her out. So I phoned for breakdown recovery. A guy turned up and after doing some checks said he reckoned that the switch for the Jiffy stand was the problem Each time I raised the stand with the bike in neutral and turned on the run switch and turned the ignition key on and then pressed the starter button ....she fired up! Only when I tried each time to put her into gear she cut out and that same message showed up - Stand Down.

Is this a Jiffy stand switch problem or something worse? My bike is 5 years old and has been in almost constant use and has had a few mishaps but this is the first time I have seen this. Any clues?

·
Registered
38,931 Posts
Luckily for us, but bad for you, is that we don't have the jiffy stand switch on the US bikes.

But it sounds like the switch could be in need of adjustment so that the jiffy stand makes more positive contact with the switch when the jiffy stand is retracted.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I will check out both possibilities.:thumbsup

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
One of my Yamaha's has a side stand switch, when it failed, I just jumped the damn thing out. Not sure on the Harley, but on the Yamaha the switch is adjustable, you might check the adjustment, if it has one.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
My old Kawasaki had a stand switch that would get dirty and stick , had to spray it out with contact cleaner , or as bobf mentioned maybe you could jump / bypass it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This matter seems sorted out now. The battery was put on charger for 3 days and when it was put back into the bike everything functioned as normal Seems the onboard computer misdiagnosed a low battery as a sidestand sensor switch problem.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Battery, jiffy stand... Potaato, potato...

I'd keep an eye out for that and see if it happens again. That seems real suspicious. If the ECM is misinterpreting one sensor for another fault code, it could be a sign that you may be heading for a bigger problem.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mmmm....Engine check light comes on for roughly 3 seconds, goes off for roughly 3 secs., comes back on for about 7 or 8 seconds...then goes off and stays off. Seems like the computer is double checking? Friend reckons bike needs full service, so getting that done and will see how things go from there.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok....I clearede that engine check light issue and things were going as normal. Been using the bike for about 3 weeks....now the same thing happens again! Bike cut out and I had to push it over a mile to my workplace. Same issue. Anybody know how to bypass a side stand ensor switch?

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Either change the Jiffy stand switch, or better yet, jump it out and rid yourself of the problem forever!

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
I don't know anything about the HD jiffy stand safety start interlock switch but I suspect that it is a two wire normally open circuit. i.e. stand down close circuit,, bike starts, stand up,,, open circuit, no start. To bypass jump the two wires together... just a thought,, that how the clutch start interlock switch worked.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
The ECM is telling you there are stored codes in memory. Pull the codes and see what it's trying to tell you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts