Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed recently that the front tire is badly worn on the right side but not the left. I've also noticed that while going down the Highway it seems as if my bars are pointed right and that the bike is leaning slightly to the right. I'm going to try to verify this with a level and my gopro tomorrow.

if my front end is not alligned can i adjust it without a lift? I asked my friend if my bike is crabbing and he didn't think it was, but I'll try to get him to ride so I can see it.

balance related replies: I currently don't have saddlebags on the bike. even when I do I don't carry more than 5lbs of tools. I have moderate scoliosis and my spine is about an inch to the left. when I ride any type of bike without hands they pull left which makes sense. if this is likely the cause I'll just try shifting right more.

the main tell that my bars ain't straight, other than guessing on my hand position is the nalice has two holes in theback to access bolts. the right one is partially obscured from my view while riding but the left one is fully visible above the tank. my driving lights also are well centered down the road but when off they look like they're pointed way left.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Almost sounds like a bent frame....

·
Registered
39,527 Posts
Rear wheel alignment.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
If the left fork spring is weak or someone has worked on the forks and put a different spring in the left, or spacers are different left to right, you'll get right side ware.
Had it on an Asian bike. Shimmed springs to same pre-load and cured the problem.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
There's many possibilities for your symptoms. A quick easy way to see if the bike is "tracking" straight is to hose a wet area on your street, then ride straight through at moderate speed and look at the tire track(s). The rear should completely cover the front track.

(I changed wet "spot" to "area" just to keep Chief quiet):spank:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha at least you don't tell me to make it moist!

OK so I tried using my calipers to check spacing from the points of reference on the swing arm but the inner diameter of my rear axel is different on each end! however the measurements I did get indicate the opposite of my theory. I figured the rear wheel, if it were the culprit, would be pointing right thus causing my frame to be right of my bars (and making me think my bars are turned right) but my measurements say the tire may be pointed left.

OK now how do I check that the front is centered in the forks? and that my forks are centered in the triple trees?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
OK now how do I check that the front is centered in the forks? and that my forks are centered in the triple trees?
I'm not a wrench, but a quick and dirty check would be your rim (top edge) to your fork tube, measurement should be the same, right? But that won't tell you if its been twisted.

·
Registered
39,527 Posts
Make yourself one of these out of a metal clothes hanger and a small rubber O-ring.

rearwheelalignmenttool.jpg

There's a divot in the center of the swing arm pivot.
Use the measuring tool to measure the distance between the swing arm pivot, and the rear axle.
Slide the O-ring to mark the distance of one side, then compare to the other.
Adjust rear axle to make the measurements the same.

A lot more accurate than trying to have someone eyeball your ass, or riding through a water puddle!

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
You did post earlier that you found you bike laying on its side and that is how your saddle bag was damaged. Maybe the bars were bent too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts