Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all... question about bike lifts.. I HATE the fact of shelling out over $300 for a Harley lift so I did some research online.. found one for less than half.. anything I should know when buying a lift.. its rated up to 1500lbs and I have a 2008 Ultra at just over 800lbs.. I even found one for less than $100.. but dont know if i should stay away from the cheapos.. I would go postal if my bike fell... any help is mucho appreciated..

PS.. apologizes to any postal workers on here.. ;)

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Me an a couple of my buddies bought ours from harbor Frieght for about 60 bucks and they work just fine. One guy has a new streetglide and one has a roadking, i have a light sportster.

·
Registered
39,534 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I have the old style steel lift from sears.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950190000P

Nice jack, but a little too tall for my lowered SoftTail.

Thinking about getting one of the newer jacks that has a lower minimum height, 3.5" vs the 5" of mine.
Yup
Thats the same style of the one I have.Works real good,Just be sure to put down the safety catch as they will leak down.
hang it on the wall when I`m done to get it out of the way.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I have the old style steel lift from sears.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950190000P

Nice jack, but a little too tall for my lowered SoftTail.

Thinking about getting one of the newer jacks that has a lower minimum height, 3.5" vs the 5" of mine.
I have a cheap Chinese knock off of the same thing, and the same problem.

One way around it is to run the bike up onto a wooden block or two.

As it happens, I have a couple of pallet trolleys for other reasons, and it turns out they work just as well, so that's what I do, but I have the space. Wouldn't work so well in a regular garage.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
The problem with the cheaper ones is minimum height. They also weigh alot more if you hang it on the wall when not in use. If thats not a problem then go for it. I have the standard Sears lift and it works great but it ways in at over 90 lbs. The sears pro model is 44 lbs and a small 3.5 inch min height. Link here

·
What?
3,256 Posts
I was thinking of a jack, and also wondered about a lift table. (Gettin' real tired of laying down to work on stuff.) Anyone know of a good table for reasonable? Or would it be cheaper to buy the steel and make one?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Have the Sears model and has been fine with both my Deuce and now the Ultra ---- $90 or so.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I was thinking of a jack, and also wondered about a lift table. (Gettin' real tired of laying down to work on stuff.) Anyone know of a good table for reasonable? Or would it be cheaper to buy the steel and make one?
Locally here I have seen a 750 kilo table for about $200. The cheapest way I have found to get the materials (ram, beams, pivots etc) to build one is a 8 ton engine hoist for $163. (Believe it or not, a ram on its own is more expensive). Add in some steel plate, say $20 or $30 and the cost is probably not much different. I would guess prices in the US are not much different.

I'm going the build route simply because this way I can have exactly what I want, where I want it.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I'm getting a lift so before I get into trouble. How do you balance the bike if you are removing tire. Also how do you stable the bike when on the lift and all tires are on and you're just working on it ? I've had my moments of clumsy.

·
Registered
39,534 Posts
The Sears jacks come with straps to cinch up the frame to the jack.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
put a strap on it, the kind you use to tie stuff down in ur pickup, the jacks have handles and hooks to attach to.

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem with the cheaper ones is minimum height. They also weigh alot more if you hang it on the wall when not in use. If thats not a problem then go for it. I have the standard Sears lift and it works great but it ways in at over 90 lbs. The sears pro model is 44 lbs and a small 3.5 inch min height. Link here
hey EZE.. can this model keep a bike up for long periods? Like a couple of months for winter?? Aside from working on my ride, I want to keep from getting flat patches on my tires while storing it.. thanks to all for all the great info..

·
Registered
39,534 Posts
Yes they do, they have safety catches like Marty said, that keep the jack from decending when in use.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Thanks needed the info

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
hey EZE.. can this model keep a bike up for long periods? Like a couple of months for winter?? Aside from working on my ride, I want to keep from getting flat patches on my tires while storing it.. thanks to all for all the great info..
Yea they are great for that. Use the rachet tiedowns and you can roll your bike to the back corner of the garage with ease but I think it's a state law in Virginia to ride your bike once or twice per month throughout the winter. :rofl:

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,189 Posts
Yup, that would be the primo floor lift. Be careful about planning to leave it lifted up for a long time, especially a bike as top heavy as yours, while it's up on the lift it's not rock steady, strap it down very securely AFTER you have latched the safety struts, because the hydraulic cylinder can leak enough to slowly let the bike down, loosen the straps, and you'd have a really nasty surprise waiting for you next time you go into the garage.

Anybody having a frame like my 2005 LowRider will have to get the orange plastic frame fittings to use a lift like that, there is a substantial fin protruding down from one of the 4 lift points to protect the tranny case, it prevents the bike from sitting flat on a lift like that, and they take up another inch and a half of your clearance. I don't think later models have that obstruction.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Be aware that when you lower the bike back down, if the bars are turned to the left and the stand is out, then the bike will come down safely on to the stand.

If on the other hand the bars are turned to the right ................ :pull

Please don't ask :hidesbehind

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Be aware that when you lower the bike back down, if the bars are turned to the left and the stand is out, then the bike will come down safely on to the stand.

If on the other hand the bars are turned to the right ................ :pull

Please don't ask :hidesbehind
I've had my bike since July and have made mistake with it, nice to know I'm not alone. It takes confidence to share mistakes, this note goes out to all of you who have shared. Thanks scol

1 - 20 of 49 Posts