Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been to several over the last few years and we think Sturgis is the best. We have been to Sturgie the last 5 years and we have reservation in Deadwood for this year. The only thing we don't like is how bikers are taken advantage of with the prices.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daytona

I think Daytona was a bust this year, it keeps getting smaller. The weather didn't help this year but I think Dayton is on it's way to the Rally grave yard.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have to agree with Sturgis despite the ridiculously high prices. Best part of Sturgis is the awesome areas to ride when you are out there. Of course the scenery on Main St. is another attraction too!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think Daytona was a bust this year, it keeps getting smaller. The weather didn't help this year but I think Dayton is on it's way to the Rally grave yard.
The City is trying to push the bikers up to Destination Daytona which in my opinion is taking money out of the City.

·
NB Biker
11 Posts
Sturgis is always a great time. Motel/hotel prices are crazy, in 07 we paid $250/night for Comfort Inn in Deadwood. What a rip off.
Camping at the Buffalo Chip Campground is the best. $300 per peson gets you camping for the week and some great bands.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We've done Sturgis several times and always love it. I think what makes Sturgis so good is the wide open spaces that are the nature of the area. Even though there are hundreds of thousands of people there, it never feels crowded (unless you're downtown, of course). For the past few years we've been going the week before the actual Rally. Its still very much a biker atmosphere, but fewer people.

Regarding the prices, they are high indeed. But its what the market will bear. If they can get that kind of money for their product or service, I say God Bless 'em. Its a free market (Thank Goodness!). I don't like paying the high prices any more than anyone else, but until the price outweighs my love of going to the Rally, they have me right where they want me:).

·
Retired Army
181 Posts
I try to go to Daytona every year but the rain did suck as well as the cold weather this year. Went to Sturgis last year for the first time and had $9300 worth of hail damage to my truck and i got the old lady knocked up (due on the 2nd of May!) First boy so i can over look that, still had a great time! Use to go to Myrtle Beach a lot but stopped after they lost there minds with the helment law in town. I was born and raised in NH so ive been to Laconia more times than i can remember, you can always plan on rain. And had a good time at Thunder on the beach in Panama city beack FL back in 2006, havent been back since. Out of all of them Daytona has always been my favorite, didn't stay long this year because i was moving but hope it doesnt go away like Myrtle. I have to give Sturgis another shot, i just spent four times as much there than i normally do at rallies!

·
Wet Member
216 Posts
I've been ridin' since the early '70 and went to my first rally last year - Oyster Run in Anacortes, WA. Only about 35,000 bikes so small compared to Daytona or Sturgis, but I really enjoyed it. I'm headed to Sturgis this summer, but you're scaring me with all the talk about high prices! How bad is it?

·
Banned
18,203 Posts
My wife and I have been to several over the last few years and we think Sturgis is the best. We have been to Sturgie the last 5 years and we have reservation in Deadwood for this year. The only thing we don't like is how bikers are taken advantage of with the prices.
which one is best????

why HERDstock of course

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I consider a rally I think of the region it's in and go from there. Daytona, naw not interested in flat land riding, Americade, naw to many asses from northeast metro areas, Sturgis, beautiful land and interesting riding terrain. Think I'll make it there some day.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I've been ridin' since the early '70 and went to my first rally last year - Oyster Run in Anacortes, WA. Only about 35,000 bikes so small compared to Daytona or Sturgis, but I really enjoyed it. I'm headed to Sturgis this summer, but you're scaring me with all the talk about high prices! How bad is it?
You can go on a budget ifn ya want! Check out some of the campgrounds in the area,there are some nice ones all around,next time we go I will be checking around Rapid city, in between Sturgis and Rapid are some nice looking campgrounds. Ifn ya want to be right in the middle of Sturgis it is gonna cost. But it is well worth it.

·
Texas Biker
51 Posts
ROT Rally in Austin, TX! Stay in the campground for the full effect and be sure you don't miss the ride into downtown. Salt Lick BBQ will change your life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Heading to Sturgis for the 1st time this year. We are going the week before and stay thru the 1st weekend. Got a room in Rapid City and am amazed how the rate goes from $150 a night to $350 a night on Sunday night. That is why we will be heading home Sunday evening. I am really looking forward to all the riding and sights to see in the area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Heading to Sturgis for the 1st time this year. We are going the week before and stay through the 1st weekend. Got a room in Rapid City and am amazed how the rate goes from $150 a night to $350 a night on Sunday night. That is why we will be heading home Sunday evening. I am really looking forward to all the riding and sights to see in the area. here are what i am thinking are the must see's
Sturgis Main St.
Deadwood
Devils Tower
Spearfish Canyon
Needle Highway
Mt Rushmore
Crazy Horse Mt.
Custer Park.
Badlands Park.
Full Throttle Saloon
Broken Spoke Saloon

What else do I need to add?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm taking in Sturgis and Murtle beach this year. The rally's I think are a place to go but the ride there is the fun part. It's the people you meet and hang with that make it what it is. In Sturgis we found the Spur Campground the best place and the cheepist. Not far from toen but far enough. Murtle Beach we rented a condo with 7 rooms. Costing $350.00 for the week per room. It's all good fun when your with the right people.
Memories that last a life time.

·
Banned
2,820 Posts
The HERD(Harley Enthusiast Ride Daily) rally coming up in May 21-23 in Paintsville,KY is sure to be a dandy, one to not miss. NJot too crowded. Touring the Appalachians.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heading to Sturgis for the 1st time this year. We are going the week before and stay through the 1st weekend. Got a room in Rapid City and am amazed how the rate goes from $150 a night to $350 a night on Sunday night. That is why we will be heading home Sunday evening. I am really looking forward to all the riding and sights to see in the area. here are what i am thinking are the must see's
Sturgis Main St.
Deadwood
Devils Tower
Spearfish Canyon
Needle Highway
Mt Rushmore
Crazy Horse Mt.
Custer Park.
Badlands Park.
Full Throttle Saloon
Broken Spoke Saloon

What else do I need to add?
I see you are going to be leaving on Sunday but if you do stay then go to No Panty Wednesday at Hulett Wy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts