Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running dino oil in my recent softail, It had around 17,000 miles on it when I bought it. I put spark plugs in it one oil change, I think around 22,000 miles.

This weekend I decided to change over to syn oil and put in another set of plugs at 29,000 mile.

I don't know what happened but it seems to run smoother and all around better?

The plugs didn't look that bad, so who knows!!

I was expecting no noticable difference or knowing my luck something negative? like more top end noise.

Pleasantly surprised for once :laugh:laugh:laugh

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Congrats roscoe - ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"All good things come from change . . . but not all change brings good things!" - I don't know who said that.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I don't want to disrespect your comments in anyway, so please don't take it like that. But, my personal experiences are that how a bike or car runs is not always the most objective thing in the world.

For example, I have convinced myself on a number of occasions that my truck runs better after I wash it. :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
My Street Glide had 9700 miles on it when I bought it from a private owner.

The first thing I did was have the 10k service done the dealer, I wanted a "known starting point" if that makes any sense.

Previous owner had used Amsoil from day 1 so that is what I stayed with.

But I was perplexed, as part of the 10k service, dealer replaced the spark plugs.

Why would plugs have to be replaced at 10k miles ?

roscoe, new plugs at 22k and again at 29 ? Wassup ?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . .Why would plugs have to be replaced at 10k miles ? . . .

Because the lean conditions of the stock motor fries them?

My Heritage had 13-14K on it when I did "Stage 1" on it. The plugs were white ash and cooked pretty good. I changed them. I was set to change them again before I got rid of the bike.

I changed the plugs on my EGC the first week I had it.

It's only about $10 to change plugs and that's buying stock plugs at the dealership. I figure it's a once-a-year part of the maintenance. For me, that's about 10K miles or so.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I change my plugs once between oil changes. Their so cheap an easy to change and I can always tell the difference in performance. Usually I'll start hearing a diference in my pipes, so used to hearing them can always tell when somethings not right. So new plugs go in nice & Cheap.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I change plugs at every oil change........cheap and easy......just like your ex.:rofl:

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've got a plug cleaner (11 bucks at Harbor Freight) unless the insulator is cracked or the electrode is rounded (you can file that if you want but not worth in IMHO) no need to replace the plugs. I pull and inspect (then clean) them every oil change and usually about half way through if I think about it.

It's a decent indication of what is going on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep~~~change plugs at every oil change and once inbetween~~~~2007 ST 68,000 miles. I realize that sounds excessive but it's just a thing I can hear in the sound of my pipes, goes away when new plugs are installed, nothing exstream, just something I can tell from the sound.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Yep~~~change plugs at every oil change and once inbetween~~~~2007 ST 68,000 miles. I realize that sounds excessive but it's just a thing I can hear in the sound of my pipes, goes away when new plugs are installed, nothing exstream, just something I can tell from the sound.

Funny i can tell the difference too right away. i put in new sparkys and man what a difference. and your right about that sound thing.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just wondering if u install a fuel pak would ure plugs last longer. I removed my cat an Indy says bike will run leaner I knw this will effect plugs life. But have not taken his advice bike runs fine.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
?

roscoe, new plugs at 22k and again at 29 ? Wassup ?
Well dealerman said they should be changed every 10,000 ???

So why not? Just good to go for another 10,000.

I know with todays cars ,trucks and bikes plugs seem to last forever!!

Last time I changed the plugs I noticed no difference???

This time I did?? just thought I'd mention it.

Oh yeah..............Glad I did it.:nod

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,666 Posts
!

My pick-up truck has about 80,000 on plugs was told to change at 100,000 by dealer? seems like a lot to me, but that's how long they've been in.

I see plugs being put in real soon not only on my truck but few other things,what could it hurt?? unless I strip some threads!!!

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
I would assume, the reason the moco says every 10k, is due to the lean fuel mix the bikes are running and increased temps due to air cooled, tends to burn out plugs faster then an optimum afr that water cooled cars and trucks are running. Also a fouled plug in a 4,6,8 cyclinder, not a big issue if you need to limp home. More so a big problem if you foul 1 of 2 cyclinders..... just my assumption.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts