Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Electra Glide will start like normal, but it will only idle for a minute or two, then it shuts down. If I try to start it again immediately, you don't hear the usual activation of the fuel pump before start up BUT...If I wait a few minutes, I can hear the fuel pump & it will start again - but it will only run for about a minute, then shut down again. I cleaned the relay connections, swapped them out & even bought a new one, but it didn't make a difference. Also, I'm getting spark - I pulled the plug wires, stuck in a plug & can see spark while it lays in the heads, so the coil seems ok....I'm leaning towards a bad fuel pump, but not sure....Rides are no fun when they're only 100 feet at a clip....Anyone else ever have this problem ??? Any help is appreciated....Thanks

·
Asylum Inmate
12,395 Posts
Check the voltage to the Fuel pump. See if the voltage quits or the fuel pump just stops. Don't know if the Glide has the fuel filter on it, but that is a problem when they get dirty.

That can be checked easy enough. Plus a pressure gauge in the fuel line will tell you what is going on with fuel and flow.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Was`t there an issue with a hole or crack developing in a line in the tank.
May cause a similar problem. Pressure drop I think.

If it were carbed my first guess would have been the fuel filter as well.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Some engines have a sensor for the oil pressure. I'm not sure if Harley does or not, but the symptoms on the ones that do are exactly what you're describing. Check the oil maybe? Good luck.

·
Banned
71 Posts
My 2000 Electra Glide will start like normal, but it will only idle for a minute or two, then it shuts down. If I try to start it again immediately, you don't hear the usual activation of the fuel pump before start up BUT...If I wait a few minutes, I can hear the fuel pump & it will start again - but it will only run for about a minute, then shut down again. I cleaned the relay connections, swapped them out & even bought a new one, but it didn't make a difference. Also, I'm getting spark - I pulled the plug wires, stuck in a plug & can see spark while it lays in the heads, so the coil seems ok....I'm leaning towards a bad fuel pump, but not sure....Rides are no fun when they're only 100 feet at a clip....Anyone else ever have this problem ??? Any help is appreciated....Thanks
Are you getting any codes ?????

With key on, open tank and look / listen for fuel leaking/ spraying . If it is, you have a cracked fuel line in tank, a known problem .

You may also want to start the motor with the fuel cap off , if vent is plugged , it'll run .

Other known problem is the fuel pump overheating due to low voltage and stopping . Check the wiring connections to be sure they are clean and tight .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts