Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 FXDC. I recently put a new battery on it and it is on a trickle charger when I am not riding. Two days ago I put about 20 miles in and parked in the garage. Today I turned the ignition and the lights came on a usual. When I hit the start button it made a loud rapid clicking noise and never started. I believe the battery should still be good however I will check that ASAP. Any suggestions on what the issue might be? I think it could be the starter relay however I do not have a lot experience with repair and could greatly benefit from any advice. THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
Well HI man ... how ya doing ? Who are you ???

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Need to test the battery - volt & load.

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
And make sure all the connections are tight and clean !

·
Poser Member # 99
17,551 Posts
Ya might want to go to the new to community and introduce your self ya get alot more help then hasing . ya might want to check your connections at battery and the starter . . if it still click take the battery out and take it some where to have it load tested . new don't mean it's any good .

Welcome to the Forum there will be more hasing

·
Registered
240 Posts
I can attest that you need to make sure your connections are tight. If they are not the starter will lug and you will see varying voltages on your volt meter while riding if you have a battery gauge. Dont ask me how I know this. lol

Glenn

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 94 does the same thing. It has been to the dealer 2 times for that problem, with no luck.. I replaced the battery last fall too. The old saying "If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem" fits here for sure.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just had this same problem with a buddys sporty last weekend, we where out on a ride, stoped for gas and soda and his bike would not start, only make a clicking sound.
Turned out to be a very bad selinoid bolt/nut full of corrosion and when roadside repairs where make it came down to one last start befor he needs to replace the entire selinoid if he wants his bike back up and in working condition.

Hopefully he has it fixed by this weekend as we have another run to attend and he will look kind of silly showing up to a bike run in his truck.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,551 Posts
Have you checked the starter relay you can swap it out with a flasher one to try it . Check rating on flasher to make sure their the samp amp rating . Most auto parts handle the relay but don't know they do. If you ask for a starter relay they will tell you No .If you ask for a flasher relay they have it they run 15.00 to 20,00 bucks at Advanced auto or Oreillys Best thing to do is take relay with you . Mine was under the seat . Solenoid for my bike is suppose to be the same as a toyota Dont know for sure . I bought both of mine off EBay both were New relay and Solenoid for 39.99 W/free shipping .
this was for 85 Electra Glide /tour Glide 1340
good luck

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Start simple. Like SCHMIDTYS said, clean, tight connections. A little sand paper or a wire brush on the posts and connectors and a screwdriver is all you need. If the battery is new/good, that's probably all that is wrong.

·
Registered
216 Posts
When I put my new battery on I made sure all the connections were corrosion free and I sprayed everything with the battery anti corrode stuff. I don't think it's and bad connection but it can't hurt to recheck everything. I'm hoping its an easy fix like the relay.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
When I put my new battery on I made sure all the connections were corrosion free and I sprayed everything with the battery anti corrode stuff. I don't think it's and bad connection but it can't hurt to recheck everything. I'm hoping its an easy fix like the relay.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Good luck. Let us know what you find. Sounds like your connections are good to go unless they vibrated loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot to post after I figured out the problem. I bought an after market battery. The battery was fine itself however, the battery was a slightly different size than the Harley battery. This would cause it to shift in the battery housing and cause a poor connection. Then the bike would drain on battery non stop. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well as for my problem

I've changed the relay, removed my battery, load tested it, replaced it checking all connections are corrosion free, then changed my battery cables out with new ones and still no change.

I checked my starter as per bobf, jumped the connection where the positive battery cable connects and the one where the solenoid connects to starter motor, and the starter whines- so my contacts must be on their way out. I'm guessing that's what that means. So looks like a new starter in my future. Or at least a solenoid. I'm not sure if I can just change the solenoid. I know they are one piece.

06 Sportster 883 Custom, straight pipes, semi apes, saddlebags, sissy bar

1 - 20 of 26 Posts