Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Road King Classic. Put a new battery in it and fired it up. Ran it for 10 minutes, shut it off and went back to start it and it wouldn't fire. No issues with it prior to this. I turn the key on the speedo lights up but lights don't come on. The fuel injection does a pitiful little growl, but doesn't activate like it should. Battery checked and it's 100%. Changed my key fob batteries and still nothing. Harley service counter guy said that it was my TSSM, so I changed it, but now obviously, I need to take it to Harley and have the fobs paired. Am I on the right track here, or any ideas? Electrical problems are not my strength. Getting a D08SEE code and engine light flashed 4-4-25(or26), then repeats.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
First rule: NEVER ask the parts department guy what's wrong with your bike!
They have 1 job.... Separating you from your $$$.

Did you have any codes when the old TSSM was installed?
Did you have the battery load tested? This is the very first step anytime a bike has electrical issues... EVERY TIME!
A fully charged battery means NOTHING! If it won't produce the AMPS to spin the starter. This is why the load test is so important.

It's quite common to have a band new battery fail load test! Take that new battery to any autoparts store and ask them to load test it, before doing anything else.

Reactions: Kerry

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
ALL Battery issues:
1. Load test and charge
2. Verify every terminal connections are clean and tight.
3. Verify starter + terminal is clean and tight
4. Verify Battery ground terminal on the frame and engine case is clean and tight.
Overview the battery cables to verify that they are not contacting anything they are not supposed to.

5... This is where starter troubleshooting can begin.

Reactions: thesnowback and JLR

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
1/2, don't forget about rule #6, not ALL batteries are created equal. Just cause it's shiny and new, don't always mean it's good. Quality control has gone out the window
100% agree... ALWAYS have the "New" battery load tested before installing! ALWAYS!

Reactions: Wooden Rat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought it at Batteries Plus. Its a Duracell and took it back to them to test. They said it was good, but did do a load test. I have checked all of my connections. Ground and at the starter. Heading to the autozone for a load test now. Thanks for the help. Will keep updated. The flashing code I found is one of the ignition modules. We'll see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took to two auto stores and both load tested battery as good. Will recheck and clean all connections. Why would the bike start fine the first time, then 15 minutes later screw up? Does that sound like an electrical component failing more likely? I couldn't be "locked out" could I? A friend said he got locked out and had to take his bike to Harley to have it "unlocked".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First rule: NEVER ask the parts department guy what's wrong with your bike!
They have 1 job.... Separating you from your $$$.

Did you have any codes when the old TSSM was installed?
Did you have the battery load tested? This is the very first step anytime a bike has electrical issues... EVERY TIME!
A fully charged battery means NOTHING! If it won't produce the AMPS to spin the starter. This is why the load test is so important.

It's quite common to have a band new battery fail load test! Take that new battery to any autoparts store and ask them to load test it, before doing anything else.
Battery tested at 2 stores. Both tested good. The codes are from when the old TSSM was in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did put my charger on it and while it was on it the fuel injection would fire like it should, but still wouldn't start. Don't have headlights/tailights when I turn the key on like I posted earlier.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,187 Posts
Pretty sure there a relearning procedure when changing tssm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,187 Posts
Did you read through some of these?

Alarm Modes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kainam and 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Checked the fuse block and found the Instrument, Lights and Security fuses were blown. Replaced them and installed old tssm. Turned the key and blew the instrument and light fuses. Key light on speedo is blinking a constant on off pattern. Apparently a short somewhere. Ideas on where to start, or common issues?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts