Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband was hit by a truck on his Dyna 18 days ago. His speedometer was found about 15 feet from his bike with the needle supposedly stuck at 78.
My question is, could he have been rolling the throttle while airborne for his speedometer to read that speed? Could the needle have moved after being dislodge from the bike?
Or is this a sure sign of his actual speed?

Hopefully this makes sense?

·
Super Moderator
4,796 Posts
no way of telling. Analog speedo surely took a hit if it detached and flew that far, no way that would be reliable. I hope he it ok...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no way of telling. Analog speedo surely took a hit if it detached and flew that far, no way that would be reliable. I hope he it ok...
He had a traumatic and contaminated left knee arthrotomy, an open comminuted tibial shaft fracture, multiple superficial full-thickness abrasions and lacerations scattered along his left leg, broken fibula, a broken scapula, a broken nose, 3 brain bleeds and bilateral lung aspiration. But he is alive.

From where he pulled out to POI was less than 0.1 mile. I know so little about motorcycles but I just can’t wrap my head around 78 MPH. 09 Dyna with a 103 motor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has he said anything about his speed, is he able to remember
I hope he fully recovers soon
Prayers your way🙏🙏🙏

·
Asylum Inmate
12,310 Posts
Could the needle have moved after being dislodge from the bike?
Or is this a sure sign of his actual speed?

Hopefully this makes sense?
Speedo indication means nothing. The G-force it takes to have one break off and the rolling and tumbling could have it in any position.

The indication from your post is the truck hit him? The real question is how fast was the truck going when it hit him. If it is a newer truck the bumper sensor will have stored that information in the ECM. If you don't have a lawyer, now is the time. If you don't know of a Lawyer try Law Tigers. The do bike accidents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has he said anything about his speed, is he able to remember
I hope he fully recovers soon
Prayers your way🙏🙏🙏
He doesn’t remember anything and is still currently struggling with short term memory problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speedo indication means nothing. The G-force it takes to have one break off and the rolling and tumbling could have it in any position.

The indication from your post is the truck hit him? The real question is how fast was the truck going when it hit him. If it is a newer truck the bumper sensor will have stored that information in the ECM. If you don't have a lawyer, now is the time. If you don't know of a Lawyer try Law Tigers. The do bike accidents.
Yes, the truck hit him- failure to yield. 95 Ford.
Husband was traveling south and truck was crossing From on side of the Hwy to the other-a bit diagonally.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,310 Posts
Yes, the truck hit him- failure to yield. 95 Ford.
Husband was traveling south and truck was crossing From on side of the Hwy to the other-a bit diagonally.
As I said, time for the Attorney. The truck drivers insurance company is going to say he was not at fault because the bike was speeding and that made the truck driver miss judged the closing speed due to the bike rider breaking the law.

Don't play the insurance game without a lawyer on your side. And you want a firm that specializes in motorcycle accidents.

The speedometer has no basis for the speed of the bike since it bounced down the highway

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I said, time for the Attorney. The truck drivers insurance company is going to say he was not at fault because the bike was speeding and that made the truck driver miss judged the closing speed due to the bike rider breaking the law.

Don't play the insurance game without a lawyer on your side. And you want a firm that specializes in motorcycle accidents.

The speedometer has no basis for the speed of the bike since it bounced down the highway
Okay! Calling today!
I have a ton of evidence (video surveillance, photos, witnesses who have reached out to me, etc)
Also the GSP called in the SCRT team to investigate as well. On the GSP report he put my husband was speeding. I hope the SCRT team can disprove this with their investigation.
I appreciate you all responding!

·
Registered
25,011 Posts
He had a traumatic and contaminated left knee arthrotomy, an open comminuted tibial shaft fracture, multiple superficial full-thickness abrasions and lacerations scattered along his left leg, broken fibula, a broken scapula, a broken nose, 3 brain bleeds and bilateral lung aspiration. But he is alive.

From where he pulled out to POI was less than 0.1 mile. I know so little about motorcycles but I just can’t wrap my head around 78 MPH. 09 Dyna with a 103 motor
The motorcycle may be holding some clues, find out what gear it was in, if it is in 1st -4th , it isn't likely he was doing 78mph, in 5th or 6th it is possible to do 78 , but not proof .
Even if he was speeding , it doesn't give the other driver the right of way.
I pray he has a full and speedy recovery.
Your nerves must be at their limits......take a deep breath , let it out.
You'll get through this.
He will too..... but he'll need you more than ever before.

·
Retired citizen
24,219 Posts
The 2009 Dyna has an electronic speedo. That being said it does have a needle with an electronic odometer and the final speed can be extracted from the ECM using the H-D shop computer. It doesn't matter where the needle stuck it only matters what's logged into the ECM memory.
Another thing to check is the rider's cellphone, most have integrated accelerometers and location indicators that speed and distance can be calculated.
Correct me if I'm wrong !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The motorcycle may be holding some clues, find out what gear it was in, if it is in 1st -4th , it isn't likely he was doing 78mph, in 5th or 6th it is possible to do 78 , but not proof .
Even if he was speeding , it doesn't give the other driver the right of way.
I pray he has a full and speedy recovery.
Your nerves must be at their limits......take a deep breath , let it out.
You'll get through this.
He will too..... but he'll need you more than ever before.
Ohh! I didn’t think about the gear thing!!
Would it still be in that gear 18 days later? Like, would someone have been able to mess with that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 2009 Dyna has an electronic speedo. That being said it does have a needle with an electronic odometer and the final speed can be extracted from the ECM using the H-D shop computer. It doesn't matter where the needle stuck it only matters what's logged into the ECM memory.
Another thing to check is the rider's cellphone, most have integrated accelerometers and location indicators that speed and distance can be calculated.
Correct me if I'm wrong !
where could I find that on his cellphone? And would that info still be available this long afterwards as well?

·
Registered
25,011 Posts
Ohh! I didn’t think about the gear thing!!
Would it still be in that gear 18 days later? Like, would someone have been able to mess with that?
The towing company will have a secured lot where they tow their recoveries. Nobody will mess with the bike.
If the bike was damaged , I doubt they would take the time try to put it in neutral to load it.
Try calling the recovery company , have them ask the driver if he did or not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The towing company will have a secured lot where they tow their recoveries. Nobody will mess with the bike.
If the bike was damaged , I doubt they would take the time try to put it in neutral to load it.
Try calling the recovery company , have them ask the driver if he did or not.
Thank you! Calling now!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay the guy that towed it said he did not do anything to it-didn’t change gears, nothing.
He said I could come look at it and take pictures etc and get my husband’s helmet.
So, now how will I know what gear it is in when I get there?

·
Registered
25,011 Posts
Okay the guy that towed it said he did not do anything to it-didn’t change gears, nothing.
He said I could come look at it and take pictures etc and get my husband’s helmet.
So, now how will I know what gear it is in when I get there?

Do you ride?
If not , have one of your husbands riding buddies meet you there.
Have them try shifting up while rocking the bike back and forth, if it won't shift up, try shifting down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd rather hire an appraiser and not do it myself.
Could be construed as destruction of evidence.
The appraiser is impartial.
The SCRT team released their hold on it. I definitely wouldn’t want to mess with it unless they were finished with it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts