Harley Davidson Forums banner

Biker Wife with a throttle acceleration speed question

3K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  craze 
#1 ·
My husband was hit by a truck on his Dyna 18 days ago. His speedometer was found about 15 feet from his bike with the needle supposedly stuck at 78.
My question is, could he have been rolling the throttle while airborne for his speedometer to read that speed? Could the needle have moved after being dislodge from the bike?
Or is this a sure sign of his actual speed?

Hopefully this makes sense?

#3 ·
He had a traumatic and contaminated left knee arthrotomy, an open comminuted tibial shaft fracture, multiple superficial full-thickness abrasions and lacerations scattered along his left leg, broken fibula, a broken scapula, a broken nose, 3 brain bleeds and bilateral lung aspiration. But he is alive.

From where he pulled out to POI was less than 0.1 mile. I know so little about motorcycles but I just can’t wrap my head around 78 MPH. 09 Dyna with a 103 motor

#5 ·
Could the needle have moved after being dislodge from the bike?
Or is this a sure sign of his actual speed?

Hopefully this makes sense?
Speedo indication means nothing. The G-force it takes to have one break off and the rolling and tumbling could have it in any position.

The indication from your post is the truck hit him? The real question is how fast was the truck going when it hit him. If it is a newer truck the bumper sensor will have stored that information in the ECM. If you don't have a lawyer, now is the time. If you don't know of a Lawyer try Law Tigers. The do bike accidents.

#7 ·
Speedo indication means nothing. The G-force it takes to have one break off and the rolling and tumbling could have it in any position.

The indication from your post is the truck hit him? The real question is how fast was the truck going when it hit him. If it is a newer truck the bumper sensor will have stored that information in the ECM. If you don't have a lawyer, now is the time. If you don't know of a Lawyer try Law Tigers. The do bike accidents.
Yes, the truck hit him- failure to yield. 95 Ford.
Husband was traveling south and truck was crossing From on side of the Hwy to the other-a bit diagonally.

#12 ·
The 2009 Dyna has an electronic speedo. That being said it does have a needle with an electronic odometer and the final speed can be extracted from the ECM using the H-D shop computer. It doesn't matter where the needle stuck it only matters what's logged into the ECM memory.
Another thing to check is the rider's cellphone, most have integrated accelerometers and location indicators that speed and distance can be calculated.
Correct me if I'm wrong !

#19 ·
Okay the guy that towed it said he did not do anything to it-didn’t change gears, nothing.
He said I could come look at it and take pictures etc and get my husband’s helmet.
So, now how will I know what gear it is in when I get there?

Do you ride?
If not , have one of your husbands riding buddies meet you there.
Have them try shifting up while rocking the bike back and forth, if it won't shift up, try shifting down.

#33 ·
3 yrs ago 18yo kid runs stop sign... = brain bleed from cracked skull [and memory DON'T all come back... ever!!],, broken hip in 2 places [replacement when ciatica pain becomes unbearable as per Dr.],,, 4 broken ribs,, 3 lung punctures,,, right shoulder totally rebuilt w/ cadaver parts.... R knee and ankle both impaired
my advice to you my dear is:::: do not talk to anyone! CALL AN ATTORNEY yesterday!!! sue the driver and the company.... don't settle after first offer EVER!!!! consider and sue in addition for loss in future. sue your own ins. co if necessary [if driver has less ins. coverage than you; sue your own ins co.for difference] - yes allowed!!! get a good lawyer.... never accept first offer!!!!! ever!!!!! I insure myself for $500,000.00 and retain right to sue,, u should too [at least]!!! everyone on a bike should. get a good lawyer right away dont talk to anyone bout it..... rats are everywhere!!!
ALERT: get accident report from cop shop to see what your up against,, study it ,,, then retort w/ your own..... he said she said.... lawyers wanna eat the other guy didnt get hurt you are the money tree for them you WILL go to court... you will win!!!! every one will make money,,,, if he wins nobody makes $ welcome to capitalism... play the game correct remember he will never ever be 100% again... Im living proof... look; the $ dont make ya better but it helps... settle BUT try to not close case if possible so future surguries 10 15 yrs from now = additional future lawsuits [reopen] they hate that but try!! best of luck GET A smart seasoned LAWYER RIGHT AWAY !!!! talk to nobody..... and remember this... you were never here!!! god bless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.