Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe they spend their income on public awareness? Would hope it's a larger percentage than 1% reported in 2013 and not all going into administration payroll.

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
That's not surprising. And you know those calls we all get, "Hi, this is so-and-so calling on behalf of your local firefighters/FOP and the reason for my call tonight is that we are kicking off this year's fundraiser and I hope we can count on you...."

If you knew how much that organization (aka ripoff) charged for their services and how little of your donation actually went to the firefighters/FOP you would be pissed and would never donate another dime.

The amount of charges will vary but several years ago I insisted and finally got the info on one of them that used to call me regularly--in that situation the firefighters got less than 10% of actual donations.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I give money directly to the fire department here. That way it all gets to where it needs to go.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,486 Posts
When I get these phone calls, I always tell them that I would love to contribute to their cause, please mail me all pertinent information. I have NEVER gotten anything in the mail for any of those solicitors. Something about mail fraud tends to slow the crap down.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I take my donation to where it is to be used. No problem how it will be used. Never donate on the basis of a phone call. Usually not so good.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,674 Posts
Have a older retired couple that live near me and bless their hearts they donate left and right. They donated some nice furniture to a local shelter that has a thrift store that sells donated stuff. After a investigation reportedly revolved around allegations of theft local news rag said that all of the stuff older couple donated went to the workers and top dogs home..free

Just to be a prick.... what about food pantries, yep mailman comes by and picks up can goods and takes to pantry, they get food donated by other means and food hoarders hit them up and the stuff sits until someone throws it away, thats right...I've seen them. Most have money yet still go to every food pantry within six seven counties and hoard food.

I consider Taxes as donation enough, I do help out friends and family if they need help moving outta some place they just got evicted from but thats as far as I'll go!!:rollin:rollin:rollin

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
Have a older retired couple that live near me and bless their hearts they donate left and right. They donated some nice furniture to a local shelter that has a thrift store that sells donated stuff. After a investigation reportedly revolved around allegations of theft local news rag said that all of the stuff older couple donated went to the workers and top dogs home..free

Just to be a prick.... what about food pantries, yep mailman comes by and picks up can goods and takes to pantry, they get food donated by other means and food hoarders hit them up and the stuff sits until someone throws it away, thats right...I've seen them. Most have money yet still go to every food pantry within six seven counties and hoard food.

I consider Taxes as donation enough, I do help out friends and family if they need help moving outta some place they just got evicted from but thats as far as I'll go!!:rollin:rollin:rollin
The big problem with food pantries, churches, etc. that try to help folks out is that they don't have any way to check on just how needy their patrons are. Too many of those on food stamps and other assistance programs spend their day going from one place to another and stocking up on everything available. Then the poor lady who gets off of work and needs help for all of her kids stops by the pantry/church and they are out of everything.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,674 Posts
The big problem with food pantries, churches, etc. that try to help folks out is that they don't have any way to check on just how needy their patrons are. Too many of those on food stamps and other assistance programs spend their day going from one place to another and stocking up on everything available. Then the poor lady who gets off of work and needs help for all of her kids stops by the pantry/church and they are out of everything.
I know it brutha!!!:)

My wife met this gal when we moved and that gal and her sister were both doing alright ,they weren't rich but the gal my wife met worked part-time and her husband had a good job and the gal had three kids by former husband that died so she received about $650 bucks a month for each kid from S.S.I or something

Anyway that gal and her sister would hit food pantries like they were trick or treating, when they moved I went over to say bye and the amount of cans they were leaving behind would have and did take at least four pick-up loads to haul off...by this time most of cans had lost the labels? :eek

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
My company used to shame employees into donating a certain percentage of their pay to United Way. I used to donate until I found out the head guy was using hundreds of thousands for personal use and drove around in Limo's.

Maybe the BADD charity did not waste 99% of the money. Maybe they spent it on BEER.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
My company used to shame employees into donating a certain percentage of their pay to United Way. I used to donate until I found out the head guy was using hundreds of thousands for personal use and drove around in Limo's.

Maybe the BADD charity did not waste 99% of the money. Maybe they spent it on BEER.
My company tries that with united way... uhhh... it's a shame

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I dont stop to give money to beggers at Walmart and freeway offramps etc. I just cant stand to get ripped off by freeloaders. I know people that have stopped and given them food. I also know people who have offered them jobs and got turned down.

·
Registered
39,577 Posts
I used to donate directly to the single mothers association.

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
As a general rule, Americans are very generous with regard to charitable donations. This works against us as too many charities/foundations/etc. now hire some organization to do their fundraising--and of course many of the organizations charge exorbitant percentages for their expenses.

I recall several years ago the TV ads for the ASPCA really got to me with the video clips of abused dogs & cats. Called their 800 number one night and gave a cc number for a $100 donation--and I was very clear that the $100 was a ONE TIME gift and I didn't want to sign up for any kind of recurring donation and I didn't want to get on their list to be regularly contacted for additional money. $100 one time that's it. "Oh, yes, Mr. XXXXXXXXXX, we understand perfectly and thank you for your donation" was their reply.

Wasn't a week till I got a tee shirt from them, along with a card I could sign and return for another gift or regular gifts. Bout a week later it was another trinket and card. Then the phone calls started--can't you please help us was the "theme" of the call. On at least 2, maybe 3 of the phone calls I stayed on the line a long time and used up a lot of their time and towards the end of the call explained my $100 one time donation and the reps acknowledgement of my desire to not be contacted again and then, as a finale, told them it would be a very cold day in hell before I would ever send them another dime.

So, I no longer make any charitable gift resulting from a phone or mail solicitation. But last year, just as the weather was turning cold, there was this older guy standing on the side of the intersection--you know the type with a sign saying hungry/cold/no work/etc., or something like that. Made a quick turn into a McDonalds drive through and in 5 minutes I handed the guy a sack full enough to make him a big lunch and have enough left to eat later in the day. And that was about a 10 or 12 dollar donation that I KNOW he wan't going to spend in a liquor store.

I'm not heartless. But I'm tired of being taken advantage of.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
As a general rule, Americans are very generous with regard to charitable donations. This works against us as too many charities/foundations/etc. now hire some organization to do their fundraising--and of course many of the organizations charge exorbitant percentages for their expenses.

I recall several years ago the TV ads for the ASPCA really got to me with the video clips of abused dogs & cats. Called their 800 number one night and gave a cc number for a $100 donation--and I was very clear that the $100 was a ONE TIME gift and I didn't want to sign up for any kind of recurring donation and I didn't want to get on their list to be regularly contacted for additional money. $100 one time that's it. "Oh, yes, Mr. XXXXXXXXXX, we understand perfectly and thank you for your donation" was their reply.

Wasn't a week till I got a tee shirt from them, along with a card I could sign and return for another gift or regular gifts. Bout a week later it was another trinket and card. Then the phone calls started--can't you please help us was the "theme" of the call. On at least 2, maybe 3 of the phone calls I stayed on the line a long time and used up a lot of their time and towards the end of the call explained my $100 one time donation and the reps acknowledgement of my desire to not be contacted again and then, as a finale, told them it would be a very cold day in hell before I would ever send them another dime.

So, I no longer make any charitable gift resulting from a phone or mail solicitation. But last year, just as the weather was turning cold, there was this older guy standing on the side of the intersection--you know the type with a sign saying hungry/cold/no work/etc., or something like that. Made a quick turn into a McDonalds drive through and in 5 minutes I handed the guy a sack full enough to make him a big lunch and have enough left to eat later in the day. And that was about a 10 or 12 dollar donation that I KNOW he wan't going to spend in a liquor store.

I'm not heartless. But I'm tired of being taken advantage of.

I give to Union Gospel Mission and women's shelters in the area. Those are the folks who do the most to help homeless and destitute. Giving money to the folks on street corners usually just feeds the drug and booze culture that thrives under the freeway.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,486 Posts
My company tries that with united way... uhhh... it's a shame
Same when I was with Ma Bell, and later with the local school system. They'd also use that, "Don't you want our organization to be 100%...or worse, I was pressured to give my "Fair Share" which ultimately was that straw that broke the back. I started refusing to participate in the campaigns and would donate to individual groups that I knew and trusted, and those are getting harder to find recently.

I dont stop to give money to beggers at Walmart and freeway offramps etc. I just cant stand to get ripped off by freeloaders. I know people that have stopped and given them food. I also know people who have offered them jobs and got turned down.
We have our regular beggars at the various shopping centers, notably Wally Worlds around the area. Seems a lot of people run out of gas and spent their last dollar on groceries for the kids, and would I help them with a few bucks so they can get home. At the end of the begging day, I have seen them get into Town Cars and very fancy Pickup trucks and even saw one couple heading into a local watering hole after a hard day begging in Pascagoula. Sometimes the urge to punch one of these cretins out is overwhelming.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,331 Posts
When I get these phone calls, I always tell them that I would love to contribute to their cause, please mail me all pertinent information. I have NEVER gotten anything in the mail for any of those solicitors. Something about mail fraud tends to slow the crap down.
I have done the same.

There are far too many organizations that are there for the profit of their controllers.

Salvation Army is excellent; AmVets also has a good rating.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts