Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beware Bikers!!! Here is a new item to be aware of when riding your bike which I have now added to my "be diligent watch out list".

Wednesday, 7/24/2019 my HD sportster threw me off in a split second. Making a left hand turn on to a highway ramp going approx 15-20 mph, I felt the bike start to slide a little and I did one or more of the following (it happened so fast I do not recall exactly what I did) but I was down on the pavement on my back and scrambled to reach for kill switch while bike was doing a 360 on its side. I managed to get up, upright the bike, and push it to side of road. As I pushed the bike, I noticed I was slipping and sliding on my feet. I looked down on the pavement and saw about 75 feet x about 18 inches wide trail of something very slick and somewhat black in color (either oil or hydraulic fluid) starting from the left lane where I started my turn on to the ramp, continuing on to the ramp for another 50 ft or so. I had steered my bike almost exactly on this path of slick fluid and as I was leaning left to steer the bike, the tires must have been covered with this fluid and down she went along with me! Since my eyes were watching out for cars coming from the other direction merging on the same ramp as I was, and this slick path blended in the pavement it did not stand out as something I should be careful of before it was too late.

I incurred a small road rash burn to my left elbow. My new crashbar saved me from being crushed / burned by the hot engine as well as preventing any significant damage to the bike with the exception of the left rear signal light which I can fix easily. And of course, I was wearing my helmet which prevented any damage to the back of my head.

Just thought I should pass this along and hope you add it to your "watch out list" along with the other such things we all have to be aware of riding on two wheels.

Sorry for the long winded prose!

·
Wayward Son
23,076 Posts
What part of the road were you riding on?
Left, center, right?

Sounds like a pretty common potential road hazard. Especially with hotter weather setting in.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I've been watching out for oil patches on the road for 60 years or so.

·
Wayward Son
23,076 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,571 Posts
Hilarious first post. First time on a bike?

·
American
25,985 Posts
I've been watching out for oil patches on the road for 60 years or so.
Geeezzzzz and all ya had to do was wait and read this thread to find out where it’s at! :laugh

·
Wayward Son
23,076 Posts
Beware Bikers!!! Here is a new item to be aware of when riding your bike which I have now added to my "be diligent watch out list".

Wednesday, 7/24/2019 my HD sportster threw me off in a split second. Making a left hand turn on to a highway ramp going approx 15-20 mph, I felt the bike start to slide a little and I did one or more of the following (it happened so fast I do not recall exactly what I did) but I was down on the pavement on my back and scrambled to reach for kill switch while bike was doing a 360 on its side. I managed to get up, upright the bike, and push it to side of road. As I pushed the bike, I noticed I was slipping and sliding on my feet. I looked down on the pavement and saw about 75 feet x about 18 inches wide trail of something very slick and somewhat black in color (either oil or hydraulic fluid) starting from the left lane where I started my turn on to the ramp, continuing on to the ramp for another 50 ft or so. I had steered my bike almost exactly on this path of slick fluid and as I was leaning left to steer the bike, the tires must have been covered with this fluid and down she went along with me! Since my eyes were watching out for cars coming from the other direction merging on the same ramp as I was, and this slick path blended in the pavement it did not stand out as something I should be careful of before it was too late.

I incurred a small road rash burn to my left elbow. My new crashbar saved me from being crushed / burned by the hot engine as well as preventing any significant damage to the bike with the exception of the left rear signal light which I can fix easily. And of course, I was wearing my helmet which prevented any damage to the back of my head.

Just thought I should pass this along and hope you add it to your "watch out list" along with the other such things we all have to be aware of riding on two wheels.

Sorry for the long winded prose!
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Quoted for posterity.
@gtrman66
Maybe needs moved to Rider Technique and Safety. :dunno

Though may be destined for the HoF&S(?).
Have not had any new entries in a long time.

·
Wayward Son
23,076 Posts
Another new member judged and found lacking. No wonder we have so many one hit wonders here.
Has always been said. Thick skin, broad shoulders, and a hard hat required. Cup optional.

:dunno

·
Wayward Son
23,076 Posts
Another new member judged and found lacking. No wonder we have so many one hit wonders here.
When you get new members posting stuff like this > My oil system.....
Well. You get the idea why some noobs posts are reacted to like they are.
Read some more of aquadave`s posts.
Think you will have a way better understanding.

Or not.

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
Rather strange first post. No intro just well I crashed. Time will tell.

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
Im curious to what some of the 'old' stuff to watch out for is? I mean, if this is 'new'. :dunno

·
Registered
472 Posts
Rather strange first post. No intro just well I crashed. Time will tell.
Yeah, I was a bonehead and low-sided on my first official ride after getting it home from the dealer, but at least I spent a month or two before asking all sorts of (I hope were) semi-intelligent questions.

Maybe the rider is new to riding as well as the Internet? Hard to know with just one post. Like you said, time will tell.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just throwing this out there - any chance this might've been a tar snake on the road and not oil/grease/whatever?

I mean, it is construction season in 99% of the US right now and it's been hot enough to make those tar snakes slick as chit.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Regardless of how this thread ends, I just want to say that I'm glad you're (relatively) ok. My first real ride resulted in a low-side that left me with a totaled Iron 883 and some scars on my right arm to remind me why I'll always ride with an armored or leather riding jacket, depending on weather.

We don't have much to go on so we don't know if you're a new rider or not. I am still very new myself. Responses to posts can sometimes be gruff here, but I can say with certainty that the whole of this forum wants to see you heal up soon and get back out on the road.

I'd suggest going to the new member area and introduce yourself, tell us a little bit about the bike. Your wounds will heal. Your baby can be fixed. Take the time to get to know the members here, we're good folks, I promise. :wink

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
Regardless of how this thread ends, I just want to say that I'm glad you're (relatively) ok. My first real ride resulted in a low-side that left me with a totaled Iron 883 and some scars on my right arm to remind me why I'll always ride with an armored or leather riding jacket, depending on weather.

We don't have much to go on so we don't know if you're a new rider or not. I am still very new myself. Responses to posts can sometimes be gruff here, but I can say with certainty that the whole of this forum wants to see you heal up soon and get back out on the road.

I'd suggest going to the new member area and introduce yourself, tell us a little bit about the bike. Your wounds will heal. Your baby can be fixed. Take the time to get to know the members here, we're good folks, I promise. :wink
Your way too nice :wink

·
Registered
472 Posts
Your way too nice :wink
Do you remember how my time started here? I'm surprised I wasn't chased with pitchforks and torches. Plus, if they are a new rider, I know what it's like to crash right after getting a bike. It sucks. Took me forever to get my confidence back up, and I still have so much more to practice and learn.

I'm an educator at the end of the day (not by trade, at least not currently), it's what I do. I tend to give the benefit of the doubt until I'm shown otherwise.

Besides, who knows. This could be the next local HOG chapter president. We all start somewhere. :smile

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
Do you remember how my time started here? I'm surprised I wasn't chased with pitchforks and torches. . :smile
MMMM don't remember the torches part? There was something about tar...….…..:devil
Ride Safe man, don't sweat small stuff

1 - 20 of 45 Posts