Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 5'3, I am 100ibs. I'm not a weakling I'm just a small person. I have wanted a bike since forever but I've been waiting until I can afford a new bike that is just mine. But I have no idea what bike would be right for such a tiny person haha. Any advice. And I want a Harley no doubt. :biking:

·
Registered
730 Posts
883. My best friend's wife is smaller than you, she's been riding for over 15 years now. He likes to go hard and fast and she keeps right up with him. She won't carry a passenger, yeah she's dropped it a time or two and saved it more than a time or two.

Take the Safety Riders Course, you'll be amazed at what you learn. Best of luck! Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My wife is about your size and rides an 883 Low with no trouble.

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Check out the new "Street" 500 and 750. There are some very low V-Rod's as well.

The Softail Slim is very low and comfortable.

Get to a demo ride event next time a dealer has one in your area. They come through DFW all the time.

My wife is 5'-4" and had no trouble with an 883 sportster.

The day I brought home my '05 Dyna FXD, she said "I think I can ride this one." Flat footed on both sides.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,666 Posts
Dana or heritage might work

What about a trike or trike kit seen a couple of shorter small women driving Ultras trikes this summer . they don't have to worry about weight or holding it up and it has reverse . is what the girls told me.

The one said stand be hind me at your own risk . I've backed over a couple of smart azz this summer and Laughed

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
My wife is about your size. My dyna super glide is too tall for her. She sat on a fatboy low and was very comfortable on it. She has not tried the heritage yet.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The new street 500 or 750 should be perfect you.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
FatBoy low gets my vote.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I am 5'3, I am 100ibs. I'm not a weakling I'm just a small person. I have wanted a bike since forever but I've been waiting until I can afford a new bike that is just mine. But I have no idea what bike would be right for such a tiny person haha. Any advice. And I want a Harley no doubt. :biking:
We had a girl in our HOG group your size, she rode a Ultra with a reworked seat. Only help she ever needed was backing up ...up-hill. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a question. I am 65 yo, 5 foot 10 & 150 lbs. I have had a FLSTC soaftail for 3
Months & have laid it over on its side twice in my garage. I just let it get leaning too far
& over she went. Is she too big for me? Or, is it just inexperience at this point. I love the bike. She's a great ride. I just have to be really careful when stopped. How many times have you dropped your bike? Ps: I had a sportster 883 before the soaftail & never dropped it.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have a question. I am 65 yo, 5 foot 10 & 150 lbs. I have had a FLSTC soaftail for 3
Months & have laid it over on its side twice in my garage. I just let it get leaning too far
& over she went. Is she too big for me? Or, is it just inexperience at this point. I love the bike. She's a great ride. I just have to be really careful when stopped. How many times have you dropped your bike? Ps: I had a sportster 883 before the soaftail & never dropped it.
I'd say it was just inexperience at this point.

If you would like to find out how many have dropped their bikes, there is a thread all about that .

·
Road Junkie
1,917 Posts
AbbyLyn, your first one won't likely be your last one. So take the safety course and to get the basics down, then shop for the bike that fits where you are today. As noted in the responses, several Harley lines offer "low" versions, so your options are many. I personally recommend a Low Rider or Street Bob as good alternatives. Good center of gravity proportions.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Honda NM4. It's different.
It's very low, it's light, it has an automatic transmission, and has lots of storage.
You do, however, meet the nicest people on a Harley.

allen

·
Poser Member # 99
17,666 Posts
AbbyLyn, your first one won't likely be your last one. So take the safety course and to get the basics down, then shop for the bike that fits where you are today. As noted in the responses, several Harley lines offer "low" versions, so your options are many. I personally recommend a Low Rider or Street Bob as good alternatives. Good center of gravity proportions.
I use to have that problem when I was in my 20's but it was alcohol related . When you get use to the bike that probably won't happen . Just slow down and take your time moving the bike around and work from the left side of the bike . you'll be okay

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
Ishankem,

I am 64.5 yo, 5' 8" and weigh 158 lbs. and I had a 2008 Heritage that I bought used back in 2010. Had it for 3 years and never dropped it. It's all about proper balance and knowing the bike's lean weight.

I now happily own a 2014 Street Glide. It weighs 60 lbs. more than the Heritage. I was very concerned that it would be too heavy for me. But I make sure that I move it around slowly in the garage and driveway and when I stop during my riding I am always upright with wheels straight ahead.

Basically, it's experience handling your bike. Don't give up. Just work with it. You'll get it!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts