Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whic one would you go with to upgrade you stereo? I see that
Biketronics (180wpc) comes with a lifetime warranty on the speakers and amp
which is nice and also the amp is built for bike use.

The Arc Audio only has a year warranty and the amp is a car one.

Would like to hear some feed back on these two companies only.

Also if you installed either did you have any issues with the XM module
being in the way?

TIA,
John
08 Dark Blue Denim SG

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
I install a lot of arc amps. it is a lot more powerful. to compare ratings you have to have all the specs. even a radio can put out 2-300 watts per channel. but at what thd is it. (total harmonic distortion) also what power input is it taking at that 180wpc. i have not installed a titan amp yet but there are a few things that strike me as odd. if it is a complete plug and play amp then it is using the power wires on the radio harness for it's power. in that case being a class d amp that produces more power with more power consumption how can it create 180wpc with only 2 16ga power wires on a 15 amp circuit that is being shared withg the factory radio. i have been installing 12 volt electronics for over 25 yrs physics is physics. the factory power wires are not suitable enough to power an amplifier sufficiently.The Arc amp will produce 70 watts of music power @a 4 ohm load with 14.4 volts supply at the battery. it will do this with a s/n ratio of .05% at a frequency range of 10hz - 50 hz. also as far as warranty i would contact the companies and ask as to what is covered under warranty. i have found that warranty coverage drastically varies from component to component. the biggest problem on bikes are the speakers. any speaker can be blown. the hertz hcx130 seem to be the most durable and the loudest. i have installed lots of $500.00 speakers on bikes but rarely do they impress me as much as the hertz @$189.00. The Arc amp may need more installation but providing a larger amp power wire and soldering direct connections is a better way.

Sorry to go on but that's my.02 cts:thumb

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
PS on the xm module. just unbolt from the radio and move to the cross brace on the left side of the radio. secure how you please.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Titan Bt480 specifications:
http://www.angelfire.com/il3/twins/BT480PowerBlock180Specs.pdf

The 12v power wire goes direct to the battery same as the ARC Mini.

This is why I'm asking feedback on these. I do not know what guage wire he uses nor do I know what guage Arc mini does.

I install a lot of arc amps. it is a lot more powerful. to compare ratings you have to have all the specs. even a radio can put out 2-300 watts per channel. but at what thd is it. (total harmonic distortion) also what power input is it taking at that 180wpc. i have not installed a titan amp yet but there are a few things that strike me as odd. if it is a complete plug and play amp then it is using the power wires on the radio harness for it's power. in that case being a class d amp that produces more power with more power consumption how can it create 180wpc with only 2 16ga power wires on a 15 amp circuit that is being shared withg the factory radio. i have been installing 12 volt electronics for over 25 yrs physics is physics. the factory power wires are not suitable enough to power an amplifier sufficiently.The Arc amp will produce 70 watts of music power @a 4 ohm load with 14.4 volts supply at the battery. it will do this with a s/n ratio of .05% at a frequency range of 10hz - 50 hz. also as far as warranty i would contact the companies and ask as to what is covered under warranty. i have found that warranty coverage drastically varies from component to component. the biggest problem on bikes are the speakers. any speaker can be blown. the hertz hcx130 seem to be the most durable and the loudest. i have installed lots of $500.00 speakers on bikes but rarely do they impress me as much as the hertz @$189.00. The Arc amp may need more installation but providing a larger amp power wire and soldering direct connections is a better way.

Sorry to go on but that's my.02 cts:thumb

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
I usually use a good quality 10 ga wire. also i run 10 ga power and gnd to the battery. power connect to battery terminal and gnd connect where the stock 8 ga mounts to the frame. as i see in the charts the titan is producing approximately 105 watts of power at .05thd at a 1khz tone. i wonder what it is doing at other frequencies. as i stated before i havn't heard the Titan actually installed so i can't tell for sure.although i am always skeptical when the chart says:
"Typical Perfomance Grafts"

Like i said before i have had great luck with the Arc although i would like to do a bench test to compare the two. maybe the Mfg would send me one @ dlr cost to compare. I will e-mail them and see.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah,
I really wish that there was more info on these products, I totally agree w/ what you say about the claims from any company.

I'm total open for either one but as I mentioned before for that type of money and only a year warranty the lifetime one I feel is better no matter what is covered as it could be the same way with the Arc warranty.

All I want is somthing that is a eazy install and kicks ass. I'm coming from a 06 Goldwing that I upgraded the speakers w/ the J&M speakers and that stereo kicked some butt.

That is what I'm trying to get out of the SG's radio.

Again I'm open to anything and looking for feedback. I totally understand what 70wpc of clean power and a pair of efficient speakers can produce. At home I have the 1950's Klispch Heresys with the Mcintosh 4100 receiver which is only rated at 75WPC the sound is great.........

I usually use a good quality 10 ga wire. also i run 10 ga power and gnd to the battery. power connect to battery terminal and gnd connect where the stock 8 ga mounts to the frame. as i see in the charts the titan is producing approximately 105 watts of power at .05thd at a 1khz tone. i wonder what it is doing at other frequencies. as i stated before i havn't heard the Titan actually installed so i can't tell for sure.although i am always skeptical when the chart says:
"Typical Perfomance Grafts"

Like i said before i have had great luck with the Arc although i would like to do a bench test to compare the two. maybe the Mfg would send me one @ dlr cost to compare. I will e-mail them and see.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
just sent an e mail to Biketronics. hope they respond soon.
as far as my experience i have a 04 roadglide w/ the arc amp, hertz spkrs and pioneer radio w/ thumb controls hardwired sirius and ipod control. with my Sampson exhaust. i can do 85 plus and can still hear the stereo. although fidelity is out the window the volume definitly overcomes the road noise. i have been doing bike stereos for the last 7 years and have narrowd down to these products for their durability and reliability. like i said i have used a lot of speaker and amp systems. i cary arc Zapco McIntosh Focal and many hi end stuff. these seem to work for the most of my customers. i will let you know if Biketronics will send me an amp to compare.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

as far as my experience i have a 04 roadglide w/ the arc amp, hertz spkrs and pioneer radio w/ thumb controls hardwired sirius and ipod control. with my Sampson exhaust. i can do 85 plus and can still hear the stereo. although fidelity is out the window the volume definitly overcomes the road noise. i have been doing bike stereos for the last 7 years and have narrowd down to these products for their durability and reliability. like i said i have used a lot of speaker and amp systems. i cary arc Zapco McIntosh Focal and many hi end stuff. these seem to work for the most of my customers. i will let you know if Biketronics will send me an amp to compare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Streetnoyz, what models of Hertz and Arc product would you suggest? How much would you charge to do an '09 Ultra, parts & labor?

·
when did it start 4u
2,051 Posts
hey street what all is needed to add a radio to a bike that doesn't have one from the factory such as a flht has the fairing and spot yet lacks the actuall parts, if you have what is needed on hand could you let me know thanks !

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
Streetnoyz, what models of Hertz and Arc product would you suggest? How much would you charge to do an '09 Ultra, parts & labor?
i use the arc mini 125 and the hertz hcx 130 usually installed price is
$895.00 OTD. pm me and i can make you a forum deal.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
hey street what all is needed to add a radio to a bike that doesn't have one from the factory such as a flht has the fairing and spot yet lacks the actuall parts, if you have what is needed on hand could you let me know thanks !
usually i use the pioneer radio. i make brackets that mount to the side of the radio and then to the bike bracket. also have hard wire control kit for vol up and dn track up and dn mute and source. PM me and i can send you what is needed and price also. My most popular package is the pioneer dehp4100ub arc mini125 and hertz hcx 130. radio can also do ipod or sat radio with some additional parts.

FYI to all viewing this and any of my posts. i did not join this forum to solicit any one. I am a harley rider and love it. I also love my work like i see most all of you. I am happy to help any of you at any time just call or PM. I have built a great reputation with the local dealers to the point that they recommend most aftermarket radio stuff to us. I just didn't want anyone to think i was using this forum as a place to sell my wares.:USA:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok here’s kind of a strange one, any ideas would be great. I just bought a new Kenwood stereo for my bike, all is good except when I play a CD then the stereo cuts out as soon as I accelerate, once I release the throttle is plays again.

The strange part is when the radio plays it works great. Seems like a bad stereo or do think it maybe a wiring issue?

By the way the stereo I used was a Kenwood MP208, nice little unit with great sound. Beats the old one I had when I bought may fairing from Hoppe Industries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's your opinion on adding a Hogtunes Tweeter bar to the above rig? Good improvement, or a waste of $200?
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts