Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my bike out yesterday, get out on the highway, open her up and she starts squealing/chirping like crazy. I mean loud. Get out of it and it stops. I ease my way back up to about 75 mph, no squealing. I hit it in the head and she squeals again. It only does it from about 30 mph and up but Only when you really hit the throttle. Cruising around it does fine. Only when accelerating. Not in neutral, not when the clutch is pulled in. It shifts fine. Belt tension is good. Rear wheel is properly aligned. Belt guard is good. Primary fluid is good. I have never had this happen on any bike I have owned. Any help would be appreciated. :unsure:

·
Retired citizen
23,459 Posts
Maybe exhaust manifold gasket leaks. On a cold engine, lube the manifold nuts with WD-40 then tighten the nuts down. Test ride to check if the squeals are gone.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It may not matter, but have you done any recent work or mods?

·
Asylum Inmate
11,812 Posts
Redo the belt tension, it's phucked.

·
Retired citizen
23,459 Posts
Also maybe blown head gasket but that's not very common to TC engines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I took my bike out yesterday, get out on the highway, open her up and she starts squealing/chirping like crazy. I mean loud. Get out of it and it stops. I ease my way back up to about 75 mph, no squealing. I hit it in the head and she squeals again. It only does it from about 30 mph and up but Only when you really hit the throttle. Cruising around it does fine. Only when accelerating. Not in neutral, not when the clutch is pulled in. It shifts fine. Belt tension is good. Rear wheel is properly aligned. Belt guard is good. Primary fluid is good. I have never had this happen on any bike I have owned. Any help would be appreciated. :unsure:
Coming from engine area, right side? Could be cam tension er shoes gone bye bye. Take to dealer for verification.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This may sound stupid but check the rear hanger on your muffler. It took me a week to find my cricket (chirping). I put a touch of oil on the rubber and it's gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My (sometimes loud) chirping varied with engine speed. Drove me crazy. I checked belt, exhaust, etc. Got worse over a year or so. Turned out it was the cams. The roller bearing had seized on one cam. Still ran ok but the chirping got progressively worse until I took it to my Indie. Replaced cams, cam plate, adjuster, oil pump.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My (sometimes loud) chirping varied with engine speed. Drove me crazy. I checked belt, exhaust, etc. Got worse over a year or so. Turned out it was the cams. The roller bearing had seized on one cam. Still ran ok but the chirping got progressively worse until I took it to my Indie. Replaced cams, cam plate, adjuster, oil pump.
Thank you for the reply!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe i found it. I adjusted the belt again, realingned the rear wheel and when I did I bumped into the rear fender and it made a weird noise so I inspected all the bolts and fasteners, etc. Took bilts out of fender, cleaned and lubed all bolts and rubber, put back together and the chirp is gone. I dont know which one did the trick bit I'm glad it did. Thank you all for your input and ideas. Helped a ton!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So scratch that. Rode about 10 miles and it started it again. I am assuming it has something to do with the cams. It runs great, just has that chirp. Reckon I am I in any real danger of damaging the bike if I ride until the winter before I get it fixed?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
So scratch that. Rode about 10 miles and it started it again. I am assuming it has something to do with the cams. It runs great, just has that chirp. Reckon I am I in any real danger of damaging the bike if I ride until the winter before I get it fixed?
I'm no pro when it comes to the internals of Harleys but, i have been a aircraft mech for 40 years. A seized bearing causes drag on the shaft. Drag is heat, Heat will eventually win and snap the shaft. Its your choice, but i sure don't want any spare parts bouncing around in my cam-chest or finding their way up to those heads. That is a potential bomb in there... just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts