Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on the hunt for updating my Road King. On this forum I've heard a lot of negative experiences on the early M8s and it's making me a little gun shy. I've narrowed it down to two bikes identical in color and basic mileage. 2016 and 2017 Black Road Kings. both under 2500 miles and engines untouched. 2016 for $10,500 and 2017 for $13,200. This bike will be for touring and the M8 do run nice. I don'e want a fairing bike. Road King fits me to a tee. Should I go with the 2016 until more issues are working out on the M8? I tend to keep bikes for a long time. 10-15 years. Not planning on doing a lot of performance mods. Just want to travel across country without a lot of worry. I know anything mechanical is subject to breaking down.

I would like some of your opinions on the M8s since time has passed. Is the internet just blowing some things out of proportion.

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
37,176 Posts
The fixes for any issues of the early M8's are known.

I'd get the M8.

·
American
25,959 Posts
Buy the 16..... :nod I'm not a fan of the M8's. But that's just me.

·
luv the low country
19,248 Posts
I'd get the Rushmore '16 for dependability. M8 '17 is first year of the M8's and were known for oil transfer problems. I would inquire why the pervious M8 owner got rid of that bike with so few miles.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I'd get the Rushmore '16 for dependability. M8 '17 is first year of the M8's and were known for oil transfer problems. I would inquire why the pervious M8 owner got rid of that bike with so few miles.
both under 2500 miles and engines untouched
I wonder why the '16 owner got rid of a bike with so few miles. :eek-surprise :devil

I think the internet blows things out of proportion.

·
luv the low country
19,248 Posts
Jim, the first owner of my '02 Road King only put 5k on it, he didn't have time to ride. Internet didn't blow the cam chain tensioner problem out of proportion for the early twin cams. I can personally attest to that. I'd still get the Rushmore with the 103 motor.:wink

·
American
25,959 Posts
Yup, that way we can help OP spend the three thousand dollars he saved on some accessories!

My opinion is based on test riding M8’s. I would not buy anything newer than a 16.... too many things I didn’t like on the new ones..... again IMO, others may vary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder why the '16 owner got rid of a bike with so few miles. :eek-surprise :devil

I was traded on a BMW where this guys riding buddies all had BMWs. The BMW dealership didn’t want a non BMW on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
673 Posts

There are many reasons why. I just picked up a '15 FLS with 395 miles on it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
FWIW I am friends with a few Moco techs and service writers and have been told off the record, none of them like the M8.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
A lot of our HOG chapter members have the new M8's and love 'em. I guess you can find someone to support your position no matter what it is. Just sayin'

The negativity on this HARLEY forum truly amazes me. :ughwerd:

·
American
25,959 Posts
A lot of our HOG chapter members have the new M8's and love 'em. I guess you can find someone to support your position no matter what it is. Just sayin'

The negativity on this HARLEY forum truly amazes me. :ughwerd:
Some like em, some don’t! Just like Harley Davidson itself..... most like em..... a couple people like Indians..... not negative, just different.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
No Jeff. There is a lot of negativity towards Harley on this forum. Whether it's those who think they know better than Harley about manufacturing and selling electric motorcycles to a market they are not part of, M8's water pumps, info systems, etc. A lot of first time posters are only here to complain. I could go on, but you already know what I mean.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
No Jeff. There is a lot of negativity towards Harley on this forum. Whether it's those who think they know better than Harley about manufacturing and selling electric motorcycles to a market they are not part of, M8's water pumps, info systems, etc. A lot of first time posters are only here to complain. I could go on, but you already know what I mean.
JLR, "negativity" seems to be, IMHO, just the nature of the forums. And I believe that's because people have problems and they look for help from a forum. Yeah, some of the first time posters are a bit rude and often times don't know what they are talking about so to them it's the fault of the manufacturer. But most first time posters are posting because they don't know how to resolve their problem. And after someone here helps them out a lot of them realize what nice guys we are and they hang out and become regulars. :smile And I think statistics would bear out that there are way more posts concerning problems whereas the guys who are riding and not having any problems aren't posting and many of them don't even know about us. So, obviously, seems to me there will be way more negative posts than positive posts.

·
luv the low country
19,248 Posts
Jim, no bashing of Harley's from this corner. Only thing that is a truism is the first year run of a model change over, or in HD's case, is a power plant change over, is that there are bugs to be ironed out. As long as I been aware of vehicle change overs the 1st year has been known for issues. If I had the money I'd buy an M8, but in its 3rd year run.

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
Only heard of the oil transfer issue and a few oil return lines leaked caused by improperly installed hose clamps.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I wasn't bashing HD, I'll bleed orange and black til I die.
Just so happens I'm good friends with several people that work at the local Moco and forwarding what I heard from the inside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been on the hunt for updating my Road King. On this forum I've heard a lot of negative experiences on the early M8s and it's making me a little gun shy. I've narrowed it down to two bikes identical in color and basic mileage. 2016 and 2017 Black Road Kings. both under 2500 miles and engines untouched. 2016 for $10,500 and 2017 for $13,200. This bike will be for touring and the M8 do run nice. I don'e want a fairing bike. Road King fits me to a tee. Should I go with the 2016 until more issues are working out on the M8? I tend to keep bikes for a long time. 10-15 years. Not planning on doing a lot of performance mods. Just want to travel across country without a lot of worry. I know anything mechanical is subject to breaking down.

I would like some of your opinions on the M8s since time has passed. Is the internet just blowing some things out of proportion.

Thanks
Pete

Myself would go with the 2016 , 2017 was the first year of the M8 and the '17 Touring Models did have some Problems being a first year run .. If it matters, know of a 2016 Road King that has had 0 issues with 40,000+ Miles that rides with our local group .. That's no guarantee but the Twin Cams were doing pretty in their later years, just as the EVO was near perfect in the late 90's and they came out with the Twin Cam which the early ones had several issues, Cam Tensioners and Compensators being the most well known ..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts