Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new here, from the U.K. and looking to buy a street bob, not sure if i will buy brand new or maybe a year or two old yet. I have a couple of questions, 1st, is the fuel injection smooth on the street bob?? the bike i currently have is very snatchy going from open to closed throttle and vice versa. So i'm hoping the street bob is much smoother. 2nd, while looking at pictures of the bike i have noticed that the U.S. models tend to sit lower at the back than U.K. models. Can someone confirm this?? as i know the iron 883 has longer shocks here in the U.K. and it looks awful as a result!! if the shocks are longer on a U.K. street bob then i will have to get the standard U.S. ones.

Thanks

X_kid

·
Harley FNG
89 Posts
Welcome x kid. I actually just picked up a '14 Street Bob on Oct 31. I haven't noticed any issues with the fuel injection and throttling at all. As far as how the US vs the UK models sit I'm not sure if there is a difference. I know on mine I can adjust how the back sits by just making small adjustments with a spanner wrench.

·
ZVO
1,416 Posts
Nice choice on bikes and welcome, I rode a 2011 bob and I felt that the throttle is very choppy, from stop to go it wants to almost jump forward instead of roll forward

·
Banned
681 Posts
As far as I know there is no difference in ride height between international models and US models. If you're looking at pictures of owners bikes I suspect that a much higher percentage have been lowered by their owners than is common in the UK. I don't know whether that's a reflection of our roads or the cost of accessories over here!
I know years ago we had different gearing (smaller rear pulley) and some restictions to comply with noise regulations but I'm not sure if that's still the case. Easiest way to find out is to look in a parts book - the differences will be listed.
I assume your current bike is a Harley? Is it bog-standard or did it have aftermarket exhaust, intake etc? If it wasn't bog-standard then it's not fair to judge the breed by it. My 2008 FXDL is a little snatchier than my old carburettor Road King used to be but it's much lighter so it's to be expected to some extent. Either it's mellowed over the years or I've got used to it as I don't notice it any more. If it's either Italian or an older rice-grinder then I'm not surprised it's snatchy - it took them a long time to work out where to position the injectors to overcome snatchy pick-up.
Best place to get some advice in Reading is Grubby's shop next to Reading West Station. If he doesn't know he'll point you at someone who does.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have to plead ignorance about the shocks, but I can say that the throttle response on my 2012 Street Bob is so smooth it gives me a Marlon Brando complex after a few miles.

"You got to put it down! You got to wail!" (Somethin' like that, anyway.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm currently riding a Yamaha xv, but the call of a Harley is just to much to ignore any longer!!!! Thinking I might look at one a year or so old, as I have heard the first service can be a bit pricey. I'll head to my nearest dealer (Guilford) over the weekend and see what's what.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Last time I was in Guildford they didn't have much in the way of used bikes. Bristol often have more and the travel time from Reading isn't that different.
I'll pm you with the number of a guy I met a few months ago at Sammy Millers musem. he said he can usually get good used bikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome X Kid. I have a 2008 Street Bob. Best bike I ever owned. My fuel injection still works great. After I had the scoot for 2 years, I put NGK plugs on it. The throttle response became instantaneous!! Though about buying a new one, but why do that when mine is just as good as it ever was... Best of everything to ya, brother.

·
Be alive!
131 Posts
Hi X Kid,
for me is the only ant the one Street Bob. I drive 2008 production year. I do not like production year 2009 with silver engine box ... all should be in black if you ask me. After this years of driving I have made only Mufflers exchange from stock to Rush and nothing elese. Regular service ... after 80k there is all OK and runing with out any problems, smood if I want and/or hard if I want.

Just grab and drive ... It is not about the destination its about the trip ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts