Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 70 degrees here today for the first time this year and of course all the bikes were out (me included). I went for a nice 100 mile ride or whatever it was fantastic..

But here is the sad part.

I got home and heard that a rider was killed in my town on route 30 which is a very busy road with a lot of businesses in the area. Apparently the guy, about my age so 20-25 was on an R1 and was passing a car at high speed and ran into another car that was turning killing him on impact.

Here's the part that is really gut wrenching though.

I looked him up of facebook and he apparently just got the Yamaha R1 he was riding over the winter and "couldn't wait for summer to get here" to ride it.

Well, in the comments all of his friends were joking around telling himself not to kill himself on it and all the normal ribbing someone gets for buying a motorcycle. But I mean holy crap guys,,,,he actually did kill himself on it!!!!!!!!

How terribly ironic. Ugghhh. I know it was really probably his fault that he was going to fast, riding aggressively, and may have been a new rider but regardless of all that how tragic. man.

Stay safe out there guys and remember....only go as fast as you can stop.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sucks for everyone involved. Even the guy in the trailblazer that was hit probably did nothing wrong, but I'm sure he will replay the events 1000 times in his head wondering if he could have turned later or sooner or stopped,,,,or if he could have taken a different road all together...who knows.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
That does suck and hate to hear stuff like that

Thats kinda like my cousin went on this charity poker run thing few years back

Hundreds of bike

3/4 of the way through word got around that someone had a fatal wreck

It made it a quiet ride after that

·
Screw it, let's ride
290 Posts
I'm glad my first street bike at age 19 was a 17 year old 1982 Honda CB650. It wasn't quick off the line and didn't have a high top speed and that probably saved me from some speeding tickets and maybe worse.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Yeah, XL, that is some tough news. All too common, too.

Prayers up for the young man's heartbroken family and friends.

Stay sharp, y'all.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll tell ya guys this time of year is tough.

I've been riding 5 years now and even though it has been warm all week and there are bikes everywhere people just really drive like complete and utter *******s. They just can't comprehend the fact that they are driving around 3000+ pound weapons. It amazes me the moves people make just to get to a stoplight 1 car length sooner.

We all just have to stay on out game and take back country roads where all you have to worry about is some sand and critters!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Very sad but unfortuate a repeat of what happens this time of year every year. Riders haven't been riding for months and maybe are w little unpracticed mentallt and physically, and drivers forget they are sharing the road with bikers.

On a crystal clear, beautiful Spring afternoon I literally had a guy rear end me on a parkway. His reply, I just didn't see you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts