Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or has the chroming craze disappeared? I had a black '04 Ultra before the nice lady in the SUV made scrap metal out of it, and seemed like every weekend I was adding some piece of farkel chrome to it. Lately, I had noticed that much of the stuff that I was adding to the bike comes stock on it today, but Just screwing around with the various new bikes and looking at what the chrome does to the appearance, it just doesn't work as it did on that black bike. My Root Beer Candy bike has minimal chrome stuff added, and it just doesn't seem right to add anything else to it. Anyone else into the anti-bling feeling?

·
American
28,662 Posts
Is it just me or has the chroming craze disappeared? I had a black '04 Ultra before the nice lady in the SUV made scrap metal out of it, and seemed like every weekend I was adding some piece of farkel chrome to it. Lately, I had noticed that much of the stuff that I was adding to the bike comes stock on it today, but Just screwing around with the various new bikes and looking at what the chrome does to the appearance, it just doesn't work as it did on that black bike. My Root Beer Candy bike has minimal chrome stuff added, and it just doesn't seem right to add anything else to it. Anyone else into the anti-bling feeling?
Nope

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
I just think that is personal opinion... Some blacked out bikes do look great but I love the chrome that I have added to my bike

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a 07 wide glide in cobalt blue that I added chrome to any chance I had. I recently traded to a SGS in black and think it looks great right out of the box. I/m sure I'll add some bling to it but not like the WG. The blacked out look is real popular right now but it's not for me. Black and chrome are iconic to harley's imho.

·
American
28,662 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love the chrome. IMHO the blacked out look isn't a great idea in hot climates to me. The heat that it would absorb would be unreal.

·
Registered
42,094 Posts
I love the chrome. IMHO the blacked out look isn't a great idea in hot climates to me. The heat that it would absorb would be unreal.
Black sheds heat.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
LOL Mine's more chrome than paint.

·
Just Ride
3,733 Posts
Black and chrome,the only way to go

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Black sheds heat.
It may shed heat, but it absorbs more light than any other color, so if the bike is sitting out in direct sunlight it will be way hotter than a bike that is a light color.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
I have seen some really sharp looking bikes that went with the black-out theme, so to speak. But, personally, I much prefer chrome. Not chrome everything, mind you, you can overdo anything. But chrome mufflers and heat shields on pipes, parts of the engine chromed, chrome crash bars, mirrors, turn signal housings, etc.

Now I have seen some chrome wheels that really look good (and also some that didn't look so good) but for what they sell for my factory wheels will do just fine.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never liked the black out stuff that recently came out. My thoughts were that when I had the '04, it was a Farkel party. Anything I put on it just made it shine more, but with the newer bike, it just doesn't do the same. I am of the opinion as someone previously posted that Black and Chrome is a Harley tradition. I sort of miss not decorating the Christmas tree.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,376 Posts
Black sheds heat.

True... Black cools faster. ... Though correctly stated black moves towards equilibrium most efficiently

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I like some chrome as an accent, for contrast, but it is easy to go overboard. Too much, and you loose all the detail, it almost has a camouflage effect. I am not a fan of the "blacked out" look or of "rat bikes", but that is just me.

Attachments

·
Registered
42,094 Posts
Biggest advantage of black vs chrome is that you don't have to spend time polishing it to get rid of water spots.....

Less time cleaning, more time riding.

·
Frozen Member
2,329 Posts
Its your bike so whatever makes you happy, that's part of having it!

Whatever lights yer fire...

Whatever blows your dress up...

Once you try black, you'll never go back?

If you ditch your chrome you'll never find your way home?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts