Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use some sort of a sunshade to keep the seat cool in the summer? I'm looking for something easy to store in a saddle bag and then quickly clip on or off.

Currently I use a white towel that I lay on top to keep the seat cool and it looks kinda trailer park ya know? I’ve looked around and don’t see anything I like. I may just get some material and make my own. I’m thinking of a triangle with 2 hooks up front, one for each hand grip and 1 in the back that hooks to the license plate or something.

I’ve looked at > Motorcycle Shade and Cycle Shade Stretch Covers, none of which I like.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Sheepskin (or similar material) seat cover? I've seen them before but I haven't looked for one for my Ultra Classic.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Start wearing something UNDER your chaps when you ride and you won't singe your tender parts. :eek:uttahere:

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
I keep a terry cloth bath towel in my bags. It has 2 purposes: a) to wipe off any water/condensation. b) to drape over my seat on a hot day.

- jp5882

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep a terry cloth bath towel in my bags. It has 2 purposes: a) to wipe off any water/condensation. b) to drape over my seat on a hot day.

- jp5882
Exactly what I do too. But I wanna upgrade.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
In addition to my gnarly comment above a leather seat doesn't get hot like a vinyl seat does. I'm looking for a leather seat now for my FXDC.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
The first thing that jumped into my head was one of those huge shower caps that my grandmother used to wear to protect her beehive hairdo. Sorry, I have no idea where that memory surfaced from.

·
Mr. MojoRisen
1,241 Posts
I use one from Cycle Shade for my RG. Works great keeping the sun/dust dirt/rain off when parked. It is easy to put on and off. Easier than a full cover, and I do not have to worry about hot engine/pipes.
It does not take up much room in the saddle bags. Well worth the cost, I can't remember what i paid for it, but it is great.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem with most shades is they were designed to work and look best when the front tire points forward. Who here does that? I'm also thinking it would be good for guys with custom stitched seats that soak up water if it rains while you're away.

I may end up making one and posting it to see what you think. Now I gotta find a seamstress and some kinda cool logo material. Something with a Pittsburg Steeler logo would be nice...

·
Registered
140 Posts
+1 on cycle shade. Got one at AZ bike week for $45. They are easy and made to be on bike with front wheel turned to left as you have it to lock the forks. Have their own attached bag to stuff it into.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The vinyl get pistol hot during the summer. Have a leather Corbin on order. I hope it will be in soon. Its been a month. It is bomber jacket brown instead of black which may help as well.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I called the co. and was told they are designed to so the wheel can be locked to the left. It's part of the design. They have a Harley logo and right now, logo's are free.
$50 bucks. For that price, it's not worth my time trying to make one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts