Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a prob bleeding the rear brakes on my sporty . ive done it countless times over the years but, this time i cant get a pedal. i put on a new rear tire and brake pads. no prob right. opened the bleeder pulled back the piston from rear caliper closed bleeder . pulled off the wheel changed tire and pads. put it all back together no brakes. bleed it with the rear brake pedal just a tad of air and not much fluid. still no pedal. went and got the vacum pump bleeder still no brakes. and a little bit of fluid in the cup. checked all hoses resivor its all good . still no brakes. brakes worked fine before i changed tire and pads. im kinda stumped . any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the resivor is full i got a bit of air bubbles then about an ounce of fluid in the cup. refilled resiovor. still no pedal

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Check your pad to rotor alignment, I managed to get my caliper carrier in wrong once and had trouble like that.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Open bleeder Push pedal down close bleeder. repeat three times. Pump the pedal several times then open the bleeder keeping pressure on the pedal repeat 3 times. Fill the Master again No pedal open bleeder and push pedal fully down hold and tighten the bleeder. PUMP the peddle until you feel pressure. Hold it down and open the bleeder until it bottoms out. One more time pump the pedal until you have pressure and open the bleeder until it bottoms out and tighten the bleeder. let off and refill the Master. Pump the pedal until it is Hard. Same for the front brakes

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
Try bleeding the rear brake switch prior to bleeding at the caliper. The switch mounted up high allows an air bubble to accumulate and the fluid can't get from the master cylinder to the caliper.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks y`all im going to give it another try this morning . this thing has bout drove me crazy.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Be certain to use the proper fluid as mine takes DOT 5 Using other types can damage the inner seals of the caliper and the master cylinder. I would empty all the lines and resivores to make sure it has the correct fluid in there

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone i finally found the prob. not sure the cause or the prob tho. cause everything was working good before the pad and tire change. the rubber gasket in the master cyl. was tore a bit. waiting on the rebuild kit now as i had to order it. should be back on the road by sat. if it quits pouring rain for the 3rd straight week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts