1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Don't doddle..... Get around em!!!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Having driven the large cars I get right around them. To many bad things can happen around them. Don't follow them close either.

·
Fast Lane Crew
438 Posts
If you can see the trucker's face in his side view mirror, he can see you.

·
Registered
391 Posts
With six properly adjusted mirrors I could see everyone of those motorcycles. But if you're riding that close to a big truck, shame on you. And if a truck driver is following you that close he is an idiot not to be dealt with.Like has already been said, pass trucks as quickly as you can. Never ride along side of one. If you've ever seen a big tire blow out you know you don't want to be beside one when it happens.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Almost caught a tire last summer coming home from Kansas City. Was behind a car who was behind the semi. Went out to pass both on the slab and a right rear on the trailor let go. I just got a blast of dust as I was along side the car all ready. The car wasn't so lucky.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
With six properly adjusted mirrors I could see everyone of those motorcycles. But if you're riding that close to a big truck, shame on you. And if a truck driver is following you that close he is an idiot not to be dealt with.Like has already been said, pass trucks as quickly as you can. Never ride along side of one. If you've ever seen a big tire blow out you know you don't want to be beside one when it happens.
Yes sir, with the hood mirrors....the only blind spot i would have is behind me....but it's still best to git on by. I don't like scooters riding beside me....makes me nervous.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
There is also varying degrees of wind buffeting I've noticed when passing a semi. As a rule, I don't like to be too close to them on any side.

I've also found that the older style flat front cabs, push a hell of a lot of wind in oncoming traffic on a two-lane road.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I try to rip past trucks, and won't even start to pass or enter a blind spot unless I have a clean shot all the way past them. I have seen the damage a blown truck tire can inflict, and want NO part of that.

·
Harley FNG
89 Posts
If I am coming up on a truck I just drop a gear and blow past them. I've been run off the road several times in my car and on the bike by a merging truck. Better to be out front than in the grass or on your @$$

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
This was posted in the Truck Danger thread. It is a huge danger. EDIT: the attachment did not come thru. The main part of the cap that crossed the whole passing lane to the median guardrail was 4' long and weighed over 50#

Truck danger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had to drive yesterday. Took a hot load N on 81 75 or so miles. Then back loaded ground road asphalt.

Just heading S 81 leaving Syracuse up grade car to my left front bumper several cars stacked up in back, I was doing 67 or so MPH.

Left Tag axle tire blew! These are larger tires for the extra weight. Cars in back dove all different directions the one on left front may have soiled himself. There was a large cloud of blinding dust and all kinds of shredded rubber tire going every where.

A pair of motorcycles had just when by me a few minutes earlier N of Syr and they had just poked by. If they had been beside me or just in back of me it would have been very serious.

I can not tell enough people on bikes or cars do not ever just hang out beside or just poke by heavy trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Truck danger-blown-tire.jpg

·
Bird Whisperer
1,742 Posts
Years ago, I was driving truck pulling a set of doubles on a lonely, dark road in the U.P. of Michigan. I saw a single headlight way behind me and over the next couple of minutes, some guy on a bike caught up with me.

I thought he'd pass as he had plenty of chances to do so. I was loaded, 164,000 gross, and running between 55 and 60 but slowing a bit on the grades. This guy just tucked right in behind me. All I could see in the mirrors was the glow around the outside of my trailers.

He must have been following me for about 10 miles when I came around a corner and there was a splattered road-kill deer right in the middle of my lane. I had no choice but to straddle the thing. The guy on the bike had to have run right through that mess.

That headlight dropped back about a half mile behind and stayed there. He was probably picking seasoned jerky off of his jacket.

I guess the moral is: As said before, don't dawdle. Don't follow too close and lose your sight distance and take away your reaction time.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Almost caught a tire last summer coming home from Kansas City. Was behind a car who was behind the semi. Went out to pass both on the slab and a right rear on the trailor let go. I just got a blast of dust as I was along side the car all ready. The car wasn't so lucky.

I've had the wind knocked out of me three times in my life:

My first wheelie on my bicycle around age 6. Landed on my back.

When I was blind side sacked in freshman football.

And, when I took a shredded tire to the chest on the way home to see my then girlfriend (now squaw) on my '73 Yamaha in 1993.

The third one was the scariest.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
I've had the wind knocked out of me three times in my life:

My first wheelie on my bicycle around age 6. Landed on my back.

When I was blind side sacked in freshman football.

And, when I took a shredded tire to the chest on the way home to see my then girlfriend (now squaw) on my '73 Yamaha in 1993.

The third one was the scariest.

Probably the only one you had to change your undies on too!!!

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,132 Posts
Probably the only one you had to change your undies on too!!!

I took a gator off the right shin... Hate to think what that woulda felt like in the chest...

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I've caught a few rocks, even clipped a road gator, but nothing hurts worse than a hunk of wood off a log truck, nailed me right in the knee.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I took a gator off the right shin... Hate to think what that woulda felt like in the chest...

Didn't really notice how bad it hurt. I was too busy noticing that I was going 70 on a motorcycle and COULDN'T BREATHE. Like, at all. Spooky.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts