Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
By build had a 88 on it to begin with i changed it over to delfi so when I bought this new motor I was told it was a true 103 screaming eagle that I was going to build to a 110 with out doing cases

·
Retired citizen
23,494 Posts
The numbers don't lie. This engine may have been modified but it began life as a 88" twin cam. The W in the VIN is the engine size code.

·
Retired citizen
23,494 Posts
Also if this engine has been modified there's no way to tell without disassembling the engine. If it has Screaming Eagle heads those have Screaming Eagle markings on the right side of each head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So if someone just only put screaming eagle and maybe 103 cylinder my the 88 block can I work the 103 head and bore the 103 cylinders to get what I want

·
Retired citizen
23,494 Posts
So if someone just only put screaming eagle and maybe 103 cylinder my the 88 block can I work the 103 head and bore the 103 cylinders to get what I want
That I don't know. Your original question was about the engine case VIN, I think I answered that. As for building the engine bigger I'm no expert there.

·
Retired citizen
23,494 Posts
Maybe some of the experts here will chime into this thread. What does it take to make a 88" twin cam into a 110" ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well it looks like I bought a motor thats a 88 the same dam things I have on my build now the only difference is the screaming eagle head thats on the new motor i thought i bought a 103 thats what they told me I was buying but guess not

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Is there anyone that can help to figure out what to do next is there a way to bore the cylinders if they are 103s and do head work to come up close to doing what my goal was

·
Retired citizen
23,494 Posts
I'm pretty sure to get a 88" to 103" or 110" the crank shaft would need to be swapped out. I know when the MoCo went from 88" to 96" the crank was changed.

·
Retired citizen
23,494 Posts
Just going thru some of my H-D literature I've found that the CVO SE 110" engine has the same crank as the 96" engine. SO the 96" engine is a stroked out 88"er.

·
weird member
2,335 Posts
Your motor might not be 88".

If the kit went onto the original case (lots of kits just use the stock case), then the VIN on the case wouldn't tell you the size.

You really would have to take it apart to tell.

As to making it a 110", you might need to talk to an engine builder. Whether or not taking that 103" to a 110" is possible, is going to depend on what has already been done to it. They're going to need to know if the crank has been changed, what size the jugs are, etc. You might could bore the jugs bigger with new pistons to get to 110", you might have to get new jugs. It may or may not need the case machined for new jugs, might oe might not need a new/upgraded crank/rods/flywheels.

There's just no way to tell what has or hasn't been done without taking it at least partially apart. You could always ask who you bought it from, and if the frame VIN is for and matches the engine VIN, you could always ask a Harley dealer if they could look up any records they have if the motor work was done by a Harley dealer.

·
Retired citizen
23,494 Posts
AND besides all that just doing big bore doesn't really add that much more tq. or h.p.. The rest of the cocktail needs to be shaken not stirred !
Just simple numbers going from 88" to 110" is an extra 22 cubic inches, that's a chunk ! Visualize 22 sugar cubes in a jar to get an idea of that !

That engine as it sits right there the OP could have the top end off of it in an hour (take pics along the way) and do some measurements. I mean it says SE 103 and OP wants it to be a 110" so it's gotta come apart anyways ... right ?

If OP takes the top end off and does some measurements I've got all the specs for those engines in my manuals at my shop for comparison.

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm not trying to be disrespectful anyone but I never said anything about just slaping a 110 big kit on a 88 or anything i was buying a 103 and got sold a 88 the same motor I already have on the bike I'm building i was buying a 103 to do a big build on i had in mind that I'd would be further along with a 103 then I would with be a 88 but thats why I was doing research before I tore into the motor thats why I asked you guys for your help in reading the block so I knew what I ended up with I thought at the least I would ended up with a 96 with screaming eagle head or a true 103 screaming eagle 103 i didn't think they was selling me a 88 with 103 heads ! I really wanted to do everything but the cases I was going to do 110 heads, cylinder,cams , Exhaust and a vision programmer

·
weird member
2,335 Posts
Not being disrespectful, but nobody said you were just slapping a 110" on there.

Now, you say you were sold an 88" motor. I already said that just because it started as an 88", it may not be an 88" since typically, big bore kits don't replace the case, so the VIN wouldn't reflect the size. It could be a 103", you won't know until you take it apart to see. It could also just be an 88" that they slapped 103" heads on.

The VIN only tells you what the engine used to be, not what it is. The only way to tell the size, is to take it apart and measure the specs.

And if it's 103", that doesn't necessarily make it easier to get to 110" than it would from a 96". You'd have to do all the exact same work regardless: new jugs (like a big bore kit, though the fitment of kits may be dependent on the case) new pistons, etc.

When a jug gets an over-bore, it's usually .005 to .010", neither of which would bring a 103" to 110". I don't know that it would even be possible to bore a 103" enough to make it a 110".

·
Retired citizen
23,494 Posts
This thread began life as a "Block VIN" question and now it's turned into a big inch build thread. Maybe starting a new thread related to the engine build would attract more attention from the performance engine builders that frequent this forum. Just friendly advice here.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts