Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think that i am in the right place.....anyway....my wife and i went for a ride today. she is riding a fuel injected fatboy...i looked down at her oil tank and i noticed that there was some oil on it that had dripped from somewhere...i looked a little closer and saw that it was coming from the air filter...does anyone know why this leak would happen? it is just a little drip from underneath the air filter. thanks....

·
Registered
212 Posts
99evo I'm sure AJ can tell you more but it is crank case ventilation taking place. It has been an issue with several bikes that I have seen but AJ may have more insight on what can be done to prevent or make it better.

Max

·
Registered
34 Posts
What year is the bike? Are you running stock or aftermarket air filter?

AJ(not the AJ Max is talking about)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Fatboy with EFI - must be 2000 or later - please tell me the year and miles - will be glad to assist you!:ride

Tha AJ Max IS talking about!!!:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. the bike is a 2005 with approx. 2,500 miles on it and she is running an aftermart filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Could be the filter she has on it. What kind of filter is it? Does it have the same style breather tubes as the stock ot Scream'n eagle filter?

AJ

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yeah, more info please! Breather styles will make a difference in the top and bottom end pressure differentials that can cause oilcoming out the air-cleaner.
Also what oil is it - motor oil, or air cleaner oil - just curuious..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dropped it off at the dealer today. they are going to check it out tomorrow. they do not have a clue to what the problem is. i am going to stop by there tomorrow and take a picture of it and post an attachment. maybe you guys will know what the problem is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok...i am back...sorry about it taking so long to post a picture of the air filter, but my camera broke on me and i had to get a new one yesterday...anyway, you will see an attachment of the air cleaner that is on the bike...also there is a picture of a little bell that is on both sides of the air filter...this is where the oil is blowing from.....tell me what you think....

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
I have a 2k RK w/43k miles and blows on occasion usually, when I'm in the mountains after long pulls up.

I have an old style Stage 1, Youst Power Tube and I think it has a cam upgrade, can't be sure of that though.

I taped a piece of oil absorbent pad inside the lower section of the breather cover and it helps.

I've heard of others taping a tampon in the same place.:eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2k RK w/43k miles and blows on occasion usually, when I'm in the mountains after long pulls up.

I have an old style Stage 1, Youst Power Tube and I think it has a cam upgrade, can't be sure of that though.

I taped a piece of oil absorbent pad inside the lower section of the breather cover and it helps.

I've heard of others taping a tampon in the same place.:eek:
When you say old style SE stage 1, are you talking about the air cleaner too? Mine is a 02 FLHTC that had the old style filter on it that vented at the bottom of the back plate. Up graded to the newer style that vents at the top and has tubes running to the throat of the carb and havent had a problem, but havent taken any long rides to push it.

AJ

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you guys go to your local dealer and take a look at the new S.E. stage 1 you might notice the backing plate is updated. has to be 29440-99D or look in the Sreaming Eagle Catalog.

The problem was with the old backing plate the vent hoses coming off the heads pointed to the bottom of the air box.

The FIX is with the new backing plate the vent hoses go straight into the induction. Which its recycled back into the motor and not on the motorcyle.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not a problem

I noticed this once 3/4 though a 2000 mile road trip on my 05 RK SE STAGE I EFI. I stopped at a dealer and they said it is normal. Some comes out but accumulation usualy doesn't become noticeable because you clean it often. He said there is a modificaion some people do that reroutes the oil some place else. I just filled with another quart and moved on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, just got the bike from the dealer today...rode some this afternoon and everything appears to be fine now...the dealer installed a mystfree o separator (if you know what kind of part that i am talking about) it is suppose to re-route the oil....the part was 229.95.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
VRODAJ...it would not...it was leaking from those little bells that are on the side of the air cleaner....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts