Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the 09 line I don't see the color scheme available that I have on my 08 FXDF..
Question is will the bike be unique (worth more) in a few years if I don't customize the paint?
I wanted to have some custom (ghost flames) done but am reminded of the old split window Vette scenario...

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Go for it. 50 years from now if the numbers all match, it doesn't matter what the color or paint is.

If your buying the bike as an investment, then put it in a storage unit now and forget about it for 25 years.

I heard a saying once, "Anybody can keep it original, but it takes a real man to cut it up"

Go for it, make it yours.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Everyone that bought an 03 for investment is now selling for half what they paid for them new.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Far as I know collectors look at the number of models made, the number of models left on the road, in short how one of a kind it is. How unique it was for the era.
Then OEM, any part changed or mod'ed after it left the factory is a MINUS, including paint. And serious collectors who would be willing to pay big cash can ussually tell the difference.
As for an 08 being a significant collectors bike in your lifetime? not likely.
I'd ride it and let somebody else worry about collecting it 40 or 50 years from now.
Ideally if you want changes you can keep original parts untouched, unpainted, and stored in a good environment. buy their replacements in the flavor you desire. Turn it all over to a collector when he come calling ...

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Enjoy the bike never mind investment lifes to sort, Besides if you want to invest pick a stock buy low for little money and hope it goes up. The chaces are about the same And All you need to get started is small money. I'm guessing your still young. Wished I had done so yrs. ago.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Enjoy the bike never mind investment lifes to sort, Besides if you want to invest pick a stock buy low for little money and hope it goes up. The chaces are about the same And All you need to get started is small money. I'm guessing your still young. Wished I had done so yrs. ago.
scol u rock..
Will probably be you in a few short years:drunk
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts