Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

I am considering the natural progression from a Sportster to the "as yet to be determined". One of the models on the short list is the BO. I ride my Sportster as my primary vehicle. I live in Central Florida so that means year round. Anyone here use the BO in that manner, or know someone that does? It seems to be a bit more on the show, than the practical side.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

"Doc"

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,970 Posts
The BO? As in Barak Obama? For every day? Nah...

·
Registered
11,801 Posts
I used to have a Sportster, couple of bikes ago. Now have a Road Glide. I ride my RG everywhere and for everything I did with my Sportster. Have you taken a BO for a test ride? That will tell you what you want to know.

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
Greetings All,

I am considering the natural progression from a Sportster to the "as yet to be determined". One of the models on the short list is the BO. I ride my Sportster as my primary vehicle. I live in Central Florida so that means year round. Anyone here use the BO in that manner, or know someone that does? It seems to be a bit more on the show, than the practical side.
In stock form the Breakout is more of a short hop bike, mostly due to HD's use of drag bars. With some customizing it's pretty good for longer runs.

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
In stock form the Breakout is more of a short hop bike, mostly due to HD's use of drag bars.
I've been running drag bars exclusively for 25+ years for distances that if I went any further my bike would be either in the ocean, or the gulf. Never did I wish I had any other bars.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
In stock form the Breakout is more of a short hop bike, mostly due to HD's use of drag bars. With some customizing it's pretty good for longer runs.

I've been running drag bars exclusively for 25+ years for distances that if I went any further my bike would be either in the ocean, or the gulf. Never did I wish I had any other bars.
I stopped at the board walk a few times.

It's your comfort, not the style of bars. I wouldn't have my Fat Bob with Buckhorn's or Beach bars, the V style drag bars fit me, and the bike perfectly. But if I purchase a current touring bike, I've noticed, I'd have to quickly change out the bars.

To answer the original question, with a decent windscreen, the Break Out, if it fits you, will be good for any distance.

If it don't fit, find the right, bar, peg and seat combo to make it fit.

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
I think you will get every answer. I ride my Rocker every day. I don't own a car. As a daily rider I don't go very far, maybe 50-100 miles per day. Short trips have been no problem, say 200 miles or less. I haven't gone further than that in a single trip on this bike, but I assume it would be fine. I ride between 10,000 and 15,000 miles per year. I don't have a windshield and don't really care for them.

I have not ridden the Breakout but have been told it's similar to the Rocker. I love my Rocker and would not trade it for anything. I plan to change out the stock handlebars which is pretty common. I think that upgrade on any bike is going to make it more comfortable. Other upgrades, seat, foot controls, etc. enhance the comfort depending on the persons size, physical fitness, and so on.

I would suggest taking the time to ride a few. If you still have your Sportster and find a bike you are serious about, ask the owner to go on a ride for a couple of hours. Let him ride your bike so you can get a feel the BO.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
What has already been said. Seating position is the key to a happy biker and long days on the road. I felt at home on my Softail Custom the second my butt hit seat and grabbed hold of bars. The BO is similar, another seat and bars I could get to like one myself. Good Luck

PS: Those fat rear tires will wear faster than normal, get 7k to 8k on my 200.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Test ride one. After you buy a bike you set it up how you want it. Make it where you can ride it every day.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I love my drag bars. Gotta ride with what fits you. Just because something looks "cool" doesn't mean it's going to feel good after a few hours.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The only thing I've done to mine as far as the bars is add some spacers under the riser. I've ridden a few hundred miles at a time and hasn't been a problem. But that may not be the case for you. Definitely test one out first. By the way, I do plan on changing the bars eventually to raise them up and back a little more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts