Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious here if anyone else has issues with bad bolts? Basically anytime I take the torx heads out they are already stripped and I just have to use an easy-out every time. Just wondering if this is common or just they over torqued and stripped when building my bike. New bike so it's not like someone else stripped them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
#25 and #27 Torx heads are very close in size and are the cause of some head stripping problems. Also, cheap tools made in the far East don't fit well or round off.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
I never stripped one but those Torx screws on my Sportster do seem flimsy to me. However I agree with Breeze, some are so close in size that the wrong size Torx bit will strip the screw pretty quick.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Are you the first owner? I ask because the PO of my bike loved red locktight and everything stripped because of that

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,466 Posts
Would think that the factory would know what size they are using is my point. I'm not stripping them when I get my stuff ready I look and it's already stripped is my point.

Never had an instance of factory issue stripped. Did someone else have a chance to work on said bike before you? I had a derby cover screw come to me that had one screw that I had to coax out with a chisel against the head, but a pass with a tap and a new screw, and never had the problem with that bike again.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Would think that the factory would know what size they are using is my point. I'm not stripping them when I get my stuff ready I look and it's already stripped is my point.

I doubt the bike would be shipped from the factory with them stripped. If you bought the bike new, I would take back to the dealer and point this out to them.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
If they were stripped at the factory, they would be stripped in the tighten direction, not the loosen direction.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are stripped in the tightened position. it's not a huge deal it's just like they stripped heads putting things in a lot of stuff was over torqued too. But I have an easy out set so if one is I just drill it and pull it out. I was more wondering if this was common or not.

·
Registered
39,529 Posts
They are stripped in the tightened position. it's not a huge deal it's just like they stripped heads putting things in a lot of stuff was over torqued too. But I have an easy out set so if one is I just drill it and pull it out. I was more wondering if this was common or not.
Doubtful. There's torque wrenches at every station along the build line. Some of them are computer controlled as verification checks for QA purposes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts