Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Life long rider
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The issue started about 3 weeks ago. The blue tooth would skip and stutter. Then for the past 2 weeks it was slow to come on. It. Would take 5 or 10 minutes for the bar and shield to go away before the system would work. Then over the past few days it would come on by itself and I couldn't turn it off.

I put the new software version on a USB stick but I can't get it to come on. When i turn the bike on or turn to accessory The bar and shield comes on for a minute or so then it goes to the clock. None of the buttons turn on the screen.

I've tried to pull both the main fuse and the radio fuse. I've tried to hold down the on button for up to 5 minutes. I've tried holding the power button while turning on the bike.

Anyone know how to reset the boom 4.3 to factory settings?
2014 flhx 4.3 boom

·
Banned
71 Posts
The issue started about 3 weeks ago. The blue tooth would skip and stutter. Then for the past 2 weeks it was slow to come on. It. Would take 5 or 10 minutes for the bar and shield to go away before the system would work. Then it would come on by itself.

I put the new software version on a USB stick but I can't get it to come on. When i turn the bike on or turn to accessory The bar and shield comes on for a minute or do then it goes to the clock. None of the buttons turn on the screen.

I've tried to pull both the main fuse and the radio fuse. I've tried to hold down the on button for up to 5 minutes. I've tried holding the power button while turning on the bike.

Anyone know how to reset the boom 4.3 to factory settings?
Did you look in the owners manual

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
No info at the H-D website ?

·
Life long rider
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The HD website gives the info for the software update. But since I can't get the sucker to actually come on - besides display the clock - the boom won't load the software update from the USB stick.

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Try the CD download for the update.
Also you can try a system reset first. Remove the maxi-fuse for about 5 minutes, that resets everything.

·
Life long rider
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try the CD download for the update.
Also you can try a system reset first. Remove the maxi-fuse for about 5 minutes, that resets everything.
thanks. no CD on a 2014. i pulled the maxi fuse - left it pulled all night - still no effect... dangit im probably gonna have to bring it in to the dealership

·
Life long rider
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe it will randomly come on again. i will carry the software update on a usb stick with me & pull over if it comes on & try to load it then. i just hate going into the dealer if I dont have to.

·
Life long rider
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I stopped by the dealership last saturday. The maintenance tech couldn't figure out what was wrong. We made an appointment for me to bring it in tomorrow.

Wouldn't you know it the f*kker started working this morning on my ride into work...
im sure that if I bring it in they will say that it's fine.. no issues! !!! Grrrrrr. I'm going on a 10 say trip 1st week of august and I want tunes!!

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
If the radio works now the diagnostics program can be run, that'll give you an idea of what's going on.
Are you able to install the update from the USB drive now ?

·
Life long rider
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took it to the dealer. They said the diagnostic showed no errors. They loaded the new updated software and said it was fine, come pick it up. When they went to hand it back to me the radio wouldn't come on, then when it did come on none of the buttons worked. The tech observed the failure but had no answers. He said he's gotta call HD tech support today during business hours. He asked me if the radio ever gets wet... duh... it's on a frickin motorcycle and it has rained every damn day here this summer... hahaha

·
Life long rider
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On my way to work yesterday the radio wouldn't come on then about 20 minutes into my ride it came on blasting and I couldn't get the volume to go down. I was close to the dealer so I stopped by & had the service manager come out to show him.

He agreed that there is something severely wrong that is beyond software. He said I gotta leave my bike. They gotta pull the radio , overnight it in to HD in order for them to replace the radio. 1 week turn around!! WTF! ! I want this fixed.. need it done before next Thursday for my 3 day trip, the following week is sturgis... I hope this issue is hammered out by then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts