Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running a 2019 CVO Ultra BoomBox 6.5 with HD Sena 20S EVO headset and volume is no problem with GPS or USB music, but iPhone listening volume is always 20% - 30% lower than other volumes, and difficult to hear while at any speed, which indicates it isn't a Sena problem. All volume settings are the same (highest) for phone, GPS and music in the system. The listener at the other end of the phone can hear well. Anyone have suggestions how to get my phone listening volume back up? Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Running a 2019 CVO Ultra BoomBox 6.5 with HD Sena 20S EVO headset and volume is no problem with GPS or USB music, but iPhone listening volume is always 20% - 30% lower than other volumes, and difficult to hear while at any speed, which indicates it isn't a Sena problem. All volume settings are the same (highest) for phone, GPS and music in the system. The listener at the other end of the phone can hear well. Anyone have suggestions how to get my phone listening volume back up? Thanks!
Following.
How do you like the HD Send 20S otherwise?
I'm looking at them because the helmet is way too expensive

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
While on a call and connected to the headset, try turning up the volume on the phone. I had that issue on another bluetooth set up. The vehicle volume was up but the phone volume was down, once I turned up the phone it works well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While on a call and connected to the headset, try turning up the volume on the phone. I had that issue on another bluetooth set up. The vehicle volume was up but the phone volume was down, once I turned up the phone it works well.
Thanks, Mike 2095. Both vehicle volume and phone volume are on MAX, with the problem continuing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Following.
How do you like the HD Send 20S otherwise?
I'm looking at them because the helmet is way too expensive

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I've had many Sena's (MH10 through 30K), most of which work quite well. Originally tried a 30K with the new BoomBox, but it didn't have the functionality, and had to move back to the HD20S EVO approved unit, which solved the problem. However, now the phone volume is playing up, which isn't a Sena problem, I don't believe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you ever find out the problem or find a solution. I’m having the EXACT same issue.
No actual positive result yet, though shifted to HD factory for comment. My HD service tech is now suggesting a full radio replacement, but haven't heard the results of this discussion yet. Have recently heard of 2 others with exact same WHIM-related problem. Have updated both WHIM and Radio to latest, and still volume is low and "tinny and distorted" sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With the moto off and helmet on in the driveway I can hear the phone conversation just fine. Once at speeds of 35ish or more it’s almost impossible to hear. Once I hang up and listen to music it’s just fine even at Highway speeds of 90+

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the moto off and helmet on in the driveway I can hear the phone conversation just fine. Once at speeds of 35ish or more it’s almost impossible to hear. Once I hang up and listen to music it’s just fine even at Highway speeds of 90+
Yes, that's my same problem also...everything else works well...of course road noise in the helmet would reduce the clarity, but for me even at low speeds the sound quality is way off when through the radio vs. going direct to the Sena on the helmet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, that's my same problem also...everything else works well...of course road noise in the helmet would reduce the clarity, but for me even at low speeds the sound quality is way off when through the radio vs. going direct to the Sena on the helmet.
I did a little more troubleshooting on my end. You’re correct. When I connect straight from my phone to the Sena without connecting through Boom GTS (Harley off) the phone volume can get extremely loud. When I start the Boom GTS and connect the sound is once again 30ish percent lower. Not sure what to make out of that though. I went through all my volume settings and maxed them out but still no fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agree. The problem is definitely the way the Sena and BoomBox speak to each other through the BoomBox phone link...not a Sena problem (as volume and quality for GPS and music is perfect), nor a phone problem (as it works Sena/phone without BoomBox in between)...the BoomBox is in the middle and when it is connected it causes the issue...therefore by elimination it is a BoomBox problem!! HD would like to believe it's something else, though. Software updates don't seem to have solved the issue. Just replace the BoomBox under warranty and it should work?!?!?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agree. The problem is definitely the way the Sena and BoomBox speak to each other through the BoomBox phone link...not a Sena problem (as volume and quality for GPS and music is perfect), nor a phone problem (as it works Sena/phone without BoomBox in between)...the BoomBox is in the middle and when it is connected it causes the issue...therefore by elimination it is a BoomBox problem!! HD would like to believe it's something else, though. Software updates don't seem to have solved the issue. Just replace the BoomBox under warranty and it should work?!?!?
I just tested it on my 18 CVO since it has the older BOOM. Same problem. I’m out of ideas. I refuse to believe swapping out the entire BOOM would fix this problem. Software or firmware maybe?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I solved the issue on my end anyway. I updated the firmware and downloaded the H-D/Sena software to my laptop and hooked up the Sena. I was able to modify some settings to include unchecking a box that automatically adjusted the phone volume. I’m not sure if the firmware update or the unchecking of the phone volume box fixed it but it’s fixed so I’ll just stop messing with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been searching forums to see if others have had a problem with their phone volume. I have a 2020 Limited. I do not use Sena.. I have the corded helmet setup. I cannot hear the phone ring and if I notice a call via the screen and answer, I cannot hear the person while on the highway. I can hear them if I am sitting still. I previously had a 2015 Limited and would have to turn the volume down on it at times because the phone call came through loud and clear. So what has changed and what can be done to fix it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I solved the issue on my end anyway. I updated the firmware and downloaded the H-D/Sena software to my laptop and hooked up the Sena. I was able to modify some settings to include unchecking a box that automatically adjusted the phone volume. I’m not sure if the firmware update or the unchecking of the phone volume box fixed it but it’s fixed so I’ll just stop messing with it.
What Sena firmware version are you using. I have a similar problem after updating my Boom firmware to 1.22.0.3. I'm using WHIM and the Harley version of the Sena EVO. With the new/current version of Boom software I can no longer adjust the volume of each input source individually. If I increase the radio volume the intercom also increases. Phone is always loud. Tunes, regardless of source have limited volume (low).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts