Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Recently bought a 2014 Classic Limited with Boom with black screen with bar and shield on opening page. It plays my 64gb flash drive with 5400 mp3 files in wmp. I added more songs to a 128gb flash drive and the Boom doesnt read anything. I inserted the 64gb and it plays fine again.
Is the Boom limited to a 64gb flash drive?
How do I check software version? Is there an update to fix this?

· weird member
2022 El Diablo, 1997 FXSTC
4,571 Posts
It may have something to do with how the drive is formatted.

The one that works, plug it into the computer, right-click on the drive and select "properties" and see if it's in FAT32, exFAT or NTFS format. Make a note of which then stick the other drive into the computer and compare what its format is. If the format is different, try re-formatting to the same file format as the one that works.

Unless you use an Apple computer, in which case the format should be exFAT.

· Wayward Son
24,549 Posts
I'm curious about the music files.
We know .wmp works. We don't know what format the additional files were if different.
exFat may work for him. Works on later Windows versions. 7 up I believe. Also Android.
No experience with Apple.
Don't know what OS HD's is based on.

· Road Junkie
2,229 Posts
I don’t have the answer to your specific question, but do know:

1) Boom! Box 6.5GT plays my iTunes music files from my iPhone just fine. That sort of rules-out iOS incompatibility tunes.

2) Boom! Box 6.5GT requires a Windows-only, FAT32 format for updating the maps. I believe this is a NaviExtras limitation, because…

3) Boom! Box 6.5GT will accept system updates using an iOS formatted USB stick.

4) Boom! Box 6.5GT Navigation has an undocumented limit of 60 waypoints in a single route file and limited memory for saved locations, but don’t believe that would impact music files stored on a USB stick.

5) I’ve never seen a complaint indicating the Boom! Box 6.5GT has any limitation on the number of music files or total storage for music files.

I would bet the 128GB stick has a format error/incompatibility problem of some sort, or the files are in an incompatible file extension. Recommend starting with a fresh USB stick or reformatting to FAT32 and reloading the files.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both drives are formatted FAT32 and all mp3s are the same wmp from a windows 10 laptop. Both drives play fine on the computor. I have good experience creating SD cards and flash drives and playing on different devices such as my BOSS stereo on my boat whichis limited to reading an 8gb flash drive. Additionally I should add that the Boom doesn't seem to recognize the 128gb drive or show the option to select USB in menu. Does anybody use a 128gb drive?

· Registered
2,017 Posts
.....It plays my 64gb flash drive with 5400 mp3 ....
Just a side question, but 5400 songs isn't enough? I mean 5400 songs is like 1500 hours of music!

· Wayward Son
24,549 Posts
Just a side question, but 5400 songs isn't enough? I mean 5400 songs is like 1500 hours of music!
Strangely enough, similar math popped into my head last night.
That is a whole lot of music.
I really believe it is just that a larger SD capacity card is not supported.
Regardless of card formatting or ext. type. It is probably buried in the owners manual somewhere.

· Registered
2,017 Posts
That will certainly give you some variety! I tried a few weeks ago to make a drive with sub folders for different genres of music. Didn't work, they all showed up as if they were all in the main folder.

· weird member
4,571 Posts
I have over 6500 songs on my drive for the bike... and that's not even all the music I have, just the stuff that I wouldn't mind listening to on rides. I have more to put on there too, whenever I stop being lazy and edit their metadata tags and calculate their replay gain values.

I don't even have huge lossless formats like FLAC, just mp3's anywhere from 128 to 320 kbps, and my computer has over 120 GB of music on it.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sardinicus87
What size drive are you using please? I have formatted the 128gb SanDisc in FAT32 and only transfered pure, not Zipped mp3 files and no luck playing...not even recognized nor read. I use android and am resigned to use phone/bluetooth.

· weird member
4,571 Posts
Sardinicus87
What size drive are you using please? I have formatted the 128gb SanDisc in FAT32 and only transfered pure, not Zipped mp3 files and no luck playing...not even recognized nor read. I use android and am resigned to use phone/bluetooth.
I don't have a Boom infotainment system or anything like that, so it won't be any help to you. But for what it's worth, the drive I use is NTFS formatted and I think 160 gb, it's an OTG thumb drive with regular USB on one side and USB-C on the other that I connect to my phone (Google Pixel 5 running Android 11). My bike is the Low Rider ST with Rockford Fosgate system that connects to the phone by Bluetooth and is controlled by the phone and has no other connections (hence why what my drive is won't be any help to you).

That said, I dunno about Apple but if you have an Android phone and you can connect to your system by Bluetooth, that may be a work-around by using a drive connected to the phone (or just putting it all on the phone if it has the storage capacity).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts