Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
What can I use to get melted heel marks off my pipes? Tried Goo Gone and it did nothing.
I have used several items to remove heel marks and shoe polish. Most chrome cleaners will work just fine. If you use steel wool make sure it is a very fine grade and don't scrub. You might try
Turtle Wax or Dupont bug and tar remover. Just let the solvent/cleaner soften the marks and they should come right off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
plian ol' chrome polish and a LOT of elbow grease. After a couple of cleanings you will learn to keep your heel off of your pipes. I did.

·
Dr Volts
84 Posts
Goo on pipes

When you get it off, get a HD boot guard. Works well.
The aftermarket jobby does not, threw it in the bin.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Trust me, aluminum foil. I was a sceptic but it polishes and cleans chrome without any scratches or marks. If u need to test it do so on something chrome, anything like a wrench or socket. U won't be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
For boot marks, get some TurtleWax Chrome polish. Its not as evil as oven cleaner. A little rubbing on cold pipes and the black marks come right off.

Use Easy Off (the toxic shit) for stuff like melted plastic bags stuck to your pipes.

·
I'd rather be riding
748 Posts
I asked the same question once on a thread and somebody came up with oven cleaner I tried it and it came off... And my pipes were in bad shape with the boot marks !!! Here's what I used :

and with the lemon scent your pipes will project a nice fresh scent threw the air !!!:laugh:laugh:laugh

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
I asked the same question once on a thread and somebody came up with oven cleaner I tried it and it came off... And my pipes were in bad shape with the boot marks !!! Here's what I used :

and with the lemon scent your pipes will project a nice fresh scent threw the air !!!:laugh:laugh:laugh
A few winters ago I was depressed that I couldn't get my bike out and ride. Snow was on the ground for over a month and it was always cold. So I decided one day to clean and detail the bike in my garage. I couldn't wash it so I used Windex and shit load of paper towels. Not just Windex, Windex with vinegar. The wife poked her head in the garage and said the bike smelled like Masengil. Yup! I douched my bike!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Put some brake cleaner on a rag. use on pipe. Come off easy.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
I found several different solutions online to this online. The one that worked for me was to apply WD40 to cool pipes and let it sit overnight. I then used chrome polish from turtle wax the next day and it wiped right off.

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are different grades of steel wool. Get a very fine one, I bought mine at Lowe's. Works great and does not scratch.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Oven cleaner, it dont hurt the chrome cooking racks in your oven.

A really sharp pocket knife (this one will scratch so be very careful and go slow, ask me how i know), and plenty of penetrating oil.

All on cool pipes.

Then polish.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Here is the best way to do this.

Take a penny.
Scratch off the burnt on rubber with the edge of the penny
Take tripple ought steel wool and rub affected area.
Polish with your preferred chrome polish.

Will not scratch your chrome and looks like new when done.

Good Luck

Glenn Williams

21 - 40 of 71 Posts