Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a good pair of leather boots for riding.

Now I know what everyone is going to say, It's based on preference and there are 1000 different types out there. But I've only used work boots or tactical boots, never riding boots. So I'm wondering what's out there and what people are wearing. And search came up with nothing for me.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I'm looking to get a good pair of leather boots for riding.

Now I know what everyone is going to say, It's based on preference and there are 1000 different types out there. But I've only used work boots or tactical boots, never riding boots. So I'm wondering what's out there and what people are wearing. And search came up with nothing for me.
OK.. I'll bite...

To start with, do you want slipons..or lace ups .

Low, 3/4 length , or knee highs .

Leather, or synthetic .

More information is needed .

:nerd

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK.. I'll bite...

To start with, do you want slipons..or lace ups .

Low, 3/4 length , or knee highs .

Leather, or synthetic .

More information is needed .

:nerd
Well I guess I'm looking for a leather, but wouldn't be opposed to synthetic as long as it has similar qualities to leather. I've always used lace up (or maybe a zipper on the side) so let's probably stick with that. and as far as height goes probably somewhere from about a 6inch boot to either 8inch. I'm not looking for much taller than that, possibly a 10 inch at the tallest.

Again I'm just looking for what is a good quality riding boot, cause I know I can go to wally world and pick up something cheap but then it's either not going to last or won't be comfortable.

·
Registered
847 Posts
To be honest I love my Timberlands for riding. Usually 6" but I've had 8's that I liked too. Insulate against cold or heat, keep my feet dry, have good grip when i put my foot down and all day comfortable when I'm off the bike too.

I get the good ones and have been riding with them for probably 40 years without a problem.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Well I guess I'm looking for a leather, but wouldn't be opposed to synthetic as long as it has similar qualities to leather. I've always used lace up (or maybe a zipper on the side) so let's probably stick with that. and as far as height goes probably somewhere from about a 6inch boot to either 8inch. I'm not looking for much taller than that, possibly a 10 inch at the tallest.

Again I'm just looking for what is a good quality riding boot, cause I know I can go to wally world and pick up something cheap but then it's either not going to last or won't be comfortable.
6 inch won't protect your ankles .............. :frown

Try this boot on for size .

Men - Elson - Black | Harley-Davidson Footwear

Now you can buy that same boot at Academy Sports for about half what the MoCo sells them for.... Same exact boot, right down to the logos and badges .

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6 inch won't protect your ankles .............. :frown

Try this boot on for size .

Men - Elson - Black | Harley-Davidson Footwear

Now you can buy that same boot at Academy Sports for about half what the MoCo sells them for.... Same exact boot, right down to the logos and badges .
Thank you, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I guess I'll look to the 8 inch boots. I wear 8 inch all day long at work so that won't be a big change.

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
My :2cents
I do not bother with steel toes. Just too damn cold in certain weather conditions. Never felt they really offered that much more protection.

Some like the big lugged sole and heel. Me. Not so much. Tends to pick up a lot of crap and track it around.
As well as tending to be heavy.

Oil resistant soles are a must. Along with minimum 8" height. IMO

Again. All these are my opinion. You mileage may vary.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I wear Bates Escalantes , leather, waterproof, lace up with side zippers. Once you get them laced up right then you're done, just unzip to get them off. Everybody has an opinion on this kinda stuff.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,801 Posts
I will never wear boots laced tight to my ankle for motorcycle riding.

Bad as breaking the small bone hurt, and the significant tissue upset to accomplish repair

I believe if my boot had not been a pull-on, loose at the ankle style, both bones in my leg

would have suffered a "green-tree" twisting fracture up above the boot's restriction.

Hurts to even mention it

But how do you break the little one without breaking the big one? I thought that was impossible.:think
Wasn't real hard, turn the foot straight sideways, roll the top of the steel toe boot down on the pavement,

then slam a 630 lb bike down on it and slide a little. Only took a nanosecond.

Not breaking the big bone too is the reason I will ALWAYS wear loose at the ankle, pull-on riding boots.

Tight laced boots would have been very bad. :whoa These boots were not very old,

but now the leather on top is so thin and flat you can feel the steel toe. Did hurt getting the boot off.

Just my experience, and my 2 cents. Opinion I came by the hard way.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,145 Posts
I wear my old Steel toed work boots . There Comfy there broke in I'm not trying to impress anybody . If they get dirt or dusty who cares if they get scraped up they now have personality. They have good grip there waterproofed with Mink oil they have thinsulate my feet don't get cold . I said they were Steeled toe right my tootsies are safe if I lay my bike down on the Aashpalt . Iv'e seen Dumb Azzs wearing sandals and shorts riding on the freeway. So wear what ever you like or can afford .

If your in a bar fight and kick someone in the shin or the head they will know your wearing steel toed shoes .
Guaranteed.

Don't worry what every body else is wearing .

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
I bought some at the Harley shop, I did it too fast all there junk is made in china, shame on me.
This is news?
Last thing I bought from a HD Shop was a rear window sticker.

I buy nothing from the MoCo other then if I "just have to have it.
And it is not offered in the aftermarket.

We now return you to the OT. Boots.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You could always buy a new pair of whatever you wear for work and ride with those. The good side of this is when the work ones need replaced you have a pair already broke in and ready to go. Then buy a new pair. You'll always be riding in a new pair.
Now this is a good idea.
As I'm looking for a new pair for work now. this is what I'm looking at, maybe I'll buy a pair and if I like them get them for riding as well.
Men's Thorogood 8" WP/Insulated Side-Zipper Tactical Boot 834-7992: MidwestBoots.com

1 - 20 of 85 Posts