Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you fellers have a borescope? If so, what should I look for or look out for? I'm not going to spend a lot of money on one as I won't get a lot of usage at this age. Also, will a 8mm camera fit down the 12mm plug hole OK? I know 8 is smaller than 12, but sometimes in actual usage it doesn't work out well. Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Might check Harbor Freight cheap prices

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
i've used one that belongs to fbo at airport on my cylinders. i don;t own one. i have a 45 year relationship with him so he trusted me to care for it while in my custody. i don;t even want to know what that one cost, i guarded it with my life. when i come across a reasonable price on one for home use i will buy it so far i havn't found one. i hope this thread gives us both some ideas.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,807 Posts
USB attachment for a laptop, they are cheap as dirt, like look on Amazon, dozens of prices & surprising quality, but amazing what you get for $35, Special purpose, like for examining the surface of the piston dome for fine details, you can't also get clear focus on the whole bore from several inches away, you get one or the other, from a cheap camera.

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
actually i think i may have found a solution to the scope problem as least for cyl and valve inspection on my plane and mcs. the md740 intraoral dental cam is being used by many independant a and ps. the fully articulating bore scopes widely used in aviation cost from 2500 to 10,000 dollars. these dental cams can be bought on ebay for less than a hundred bucks. i've been kicking it around a while. my plane engine is fresh i overhauled it only about 500 hours ago. the harley is pretty high time it should come in at over a 100,000mi this year. after christmas and taxes i think i will order one. i'm shure it will work on cylinders and valves through the spark plug hole. i have seen photos of aircraft bores and valves and they are excellent. it has a usb cable that hooks to your laptop and the images are top quality. the harbor freight ones are cheap and can be used for everything else.

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
USB attachment for a laptop, they are cheap as dirt, like look on Amazon, dozens of prices & surprising quality, but amazing what you get for $35, Special purpose, like for examining the surface of the piston dome for fine details, you can't also get clear focus on the whole bore from several inches away, you get one or the other, from a cheap camera.
true but they won't look back up at the valves.🙁

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,807 Posts
The mirror attachment that gives high detail at 90° is more useful than a straight backwards, boomerang view. I think some kits offer both.

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
The mirror attachment that gives high detail at 90° is more useful than a straight backwards, boomerang view. I think some kits offer both.

now that sounds good. the ninety degree should show valves open, closed, and moving while seating to see if guides are not loose. then you could use it for other stuff besides looking into cylinders that just might be the ticket if the cam and attached mirror would fith through a spark plug hole. 14mm on a harley. i need to get a link to the photos i saw of aircraft cylinder valves, cyl walls and piston tops they were awesome but the dental camera has no lead. would only work up close. does great on cylinders through the spark plug hole but would be pretty limited for other stuff. thanks i'll read up on those too.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,807 Posts
I notice the first one I find searching "usb borescope inspection camera with light" has adjustable intensity light, this might be important, since some led lights are blinding.

·
Proud Infidel
2,578 Posts
I notice the first one I find searching "usb borescope inspection camera with light" has adjustable intensity light, this might be important, since some led lights are blinding.

Not too much of a problem when there's carbon built up on the piston.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,807 Posts
I was thinking about several bore-lights I got lately for gun barrels, I had to buy several before I could find one that was useful, in the normal way, which is putting it into the one end of the barrel and looking into the other. Some of the super-bright led bore-lights are useless, you might as well be looking at the sun. Adjustable intensity would still allow super bright for the blackened piston dome, but the cylinder walls would be shiny enough to be blinding if not for that adjustability.

·
Proud Infidel
2,578 Posts
I was thinking about several bore-lights I got lately for gun barrels, I had to buy several before I could find one that was useful, in the normal way, which is putting it into the one end of the barrel and looking into the other. Some of the super-bright led bore-lights are useless, you might as well be looking at the sun. Adjustable intensity would still allow super bright for the blackened piston dome, but the cylinder walls would be shiny enough to be blinding if not for that adjustability.
Which one did you finally go with?

The one I bought works, but clarity (resolution?) sucks.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
Which one did you finally go with?

The one I bought works, but clarity (resolution?) sucks.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
i havn't ordered one yet alan. i think it's going to be the dental camera though. it will pretty much only work on valves and cylinders but that's all i really nead. the images on line of it's use are super good resolution. 😁

·
Retired citizen
22,124 Posts
We had one at the shop that worked great going in thru the spark plug hole. I used it to inspect the underside of bikes for oil leaks so I didn't have to bend over ! I'm trying to look up the brand name now. I'm thinking 'VideoScope'. The camera end was small enough to get into anyplace on a Harley. Might have been Milwaukee brand, a couple hundred $ for the kit. 'Milwaukee' is always good tools !

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
We had one at the shop that worked great going in thru the spark plug hole. I used it to inspect the underside of bikes for oil leaks so I didn't have to bend over ! I'm trying to look up the brand name now. I'm thinking 'VideoScope'. The camera end was small enough to get into anyplace on a Harley. Might have been Milwaukee brand, a couple hundred $ for the kit. 'Milwaukee' is always good tools !
alright!! that's what i've been waiting for thanks. sounds like that would work on everything. could you see the valves with it?

·
Retired citizen
22,124 Posts
You can see the valves when you clip the mirror onto the camera end. The mirror is small enough to go thru the plug hole, the camera magnifies the images.
Google up 'VideoScope' and you'll probably get a bunch of borescope images.
Nothing would beat the medical borescopes but they definitely are out of the budget !

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
You can see the valves when you clip the mirror onto the camera end. The mirror is small enough to go thru the plug hole, the camera magnifies the images.
Google up 'VideoScope' and you'll probably get a bunch of borescope images.
Nothing would beat the medical borescopes but they definitely are out of the budget !
🤠 hanks a bunch schmidty, i'll check em out! the milwaukee m12 for $240 dollars looks like the one you talked about. i havn't pulled the trigger yet, i'm going to watch their vidios first. but i'm 99 percent sure that is the one for cylinders and everything else. one tool for a buttload of jobs. thanks schmidty!

·
Retired citizen
22,124 Posts
There's tons of other things a borescope can be used for. Poke around under the car or truck hood, peek behind the fridge, look at your own backside without a mirror, check for ear wax, etc., etc..
There appears to be a lotta them for under a hundred buck$ too ! The better ones have articulated cameras but those are the expensive ones.
I think I'd go with an inexpensive borescope at first just to see how much I could do with it or use it.
Also the 5.5mm or smaller camera would be the one to get into the tight spots IMO.
Another thing is that most of the borescopes have SD memory cards to save images that can be downloaded to your PC via USB. That way you can view the images on the big screen and even post them to the forum !
I might just have to get me a borescope. I used to use one where I worked but now reflecting on that I could probably put one to good use at my shop too ! Damn, more tools to buy ! Something to spend my tax refund on !

1 - 20 of 35 Posts