Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hold on a day or two longer Schmidty. The one I ordered should be here before the weekend. I'll give you an honest review - maybe even some pictures.

·
old scoot coot
2,907 Posts
Hold on a day or two longer Schmidty. The one I ordered should be here before the weekend. I'll give you an honest review - maybe even some pictures.
which one did you buy jim. i'm soooooo curious. i haven't watched the vidios on the milwaulkee m12 yet. i'm going to though. before i pull the trigger i'll wait and see on yours.

·
old scoot coot
2,907 Posts
i havn't ordered one yet alan. i think it's going to be the dental camera though. it will pretty much only work on valves and cylinders but that's all i really nead. the images on line of it's use are super good resolution. 😁
now after reading what schmidty said i think it's going to be the milwaulkee m12 vidioscope. can do cylenders, valves and a million other things also. should be the only scope/camera one should ever need. 240 dollars and the milwaukee name.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The borescope came in late today. A nice carrying case and some brief instructions. I did some initial fooling around with it and I think I'm going to like it. The screen brightness as well as the led lights are adjustable, so it gives a nice view of an object. The pictures show up real nice on the computer and can be manipulated there too. I should have time to pull the plugs on the Ultra and get some internal pics tomorrow. I haven't tried the mirror yet. It screws on, not clips on, so it should be less likely to come off in the engine.
I'll post some pics when I get them.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here's some pictures from the borescope. The mirror worked fine in the daylight, but in the cylinder I couldn't get it to work. Couldn't get it to look up at the valves either. I tried to get the camera facing upwards by pushing it against the piston, but it didn't turn enough. I think all of the cameras would have these same problems, unless you got one of the really expensive medical ones.
JPG00001.JPG
JPG00004.JPG
JPG00010.JPG

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
As you can see in that last picture there are some scratches on the rear cylinder wall. Both pistons show oil leakage past the rings. I knew something wasn't right, now I know for sure. Not sure how deep those scratches are - may have to bore. 2 owners before me, so I really don't know how it was treated before I got it. Original owner had the pistons and cams installed, 2nd owner didn't impress me as too sharp mechanically. :unsure:Hard to say.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Tommytailspin wanted to know about seeing the valves with the borescope. I stuck the camera through the throttle body and took a picture. I was able to get a picture through the plug hole of the valve face and was amazed at how much oil was on the valve. Apparently the valve stem seal aren't too good right now.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes the mirror came with it. I couldn't get it to work in the cylinder. I could look at myself fine though :cool: It worked where there was light, but the light from the camera didn't let let me see anything. The reflection just glared. See post #26

·
old scoot coot
2,907 Posts
Yes the mirror came with it. I couldn't get it to work in the cylinder. I could look at myself fine though :cool: It worked where there was light, but the light from the camera didn't let let me see anything. The reflection just glared. See post #26
not bad jim, you can see the valve working surface through the injector port. it looks good on the intake whjich will show more carbon than the exhaust. if the exhaust looks that good open, it does closed. you arent loosing any compression through. cylinder really doen't look too bad at all a couple of scratches not deep at all. if your compression is ok on a guage and there is little or no oil consumption id keep running it. it just doesn't look that bad. just sayin. 🤠

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
You might need some indirect lighting and turn the light off on the borescope. Seems to be to much glare.
You could wire up a single LED bulb from a 12v source with a couple 16 gauge wires and dangle that into the cylinder thru the plug hole. That could be moved around independant from the borescope to get a better view.
Just a thought ! Did ya try scoping anything else out on your bike instead of the cylinders ?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
not bad jim, you can see the valve working surface through the injector port. it looks good on the intake whjich will show more carbon than the exhaust. if the exhaust looks that good open, it does closed. you arent loosing any compression through. cylinder really doen't look too bad at all a couple of scratches not deep at all. if your compression is ok on a guage and there is little or no oil consumption id keep running it. it just doesn't look that bad. just sayin. 🤠
Tommy,
Cylinder leakage is at 12% and all the air is coming out of the breathers. The picture of the valve is through the plug hole. .590" lift. the pic is a little blurry as the camera doesn't focus real well when it's close to an object, but that shiney stuff is oil. 165 on the front cylinder - 150+ on the rear. I just checked after todays ride. just over 500 miles since the oil change and I added 12 oz of oil.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You might need some indirect lighting and turn the light off on the borescope. Seems to be to much glare.
You could wire up a single LED bulb from a 12v source with a couple 16 gauge wires and dangle that into the cylinder thru the plug hole. That could be moved around independant from the borescope to get a better view.
Just a thought ! Did ya try scoping anything else out on your bike instead of the cylinders ?
I believe what you suggest would work, as the mirror attachment works ok out where there is light. I didn't look at much of anything else on the bike, but I did locate an oil leak on my V6 Ford in a spot that was very difficult to see or get a mirror to. As a side note: it really gets me disoriented when looking at then underside of a valve cover/cylinder head on the car. I would think it would be the same looking up under a bike. It takes a minute or 2 to figure out what's left or right, top or bottom. Still I like it.

·
old scoot coot
2,907 Posts
Tommy,
Cylinder leakage is at 12% and all the air is coming out of the breathers. The picture of the valve is through the plug hole. .590" lift. the pic is a little blurry as the camera doesn't focus real well when it's close to an object, but that shiney stuff is oil. 165 on the front cylinder - 150+ on the rear. I just checked after todays ride. just over 500 miles since the oil change and I added 12 oz of oil.
yep, you are about there jim. the leakdown is'nt too bad but with that and oil consumption you may as well. didn't see any reason why a rering wouldn't fix you up though. those little scratches wouldn't keep new rings from seating the honing may make em dissapper anyway if not do big deal. if the pistons are within specs.i'd hone the cylinders and put new rings in.. i'd knurlize pisoons if they were under but i don't have machine shop any more. turn top grooves and use kwall spacers too. new shops don't even know what those machines are,. just kidding. if your pistons mic out ok you would probably have a better job with a rering job than having most shops bore them any more. i had a quickway boreing machine for automotive cylinders and one for small engines and motorcycles. most shops wont spend the money for a good boreing machine for the smaller bore sizes. just sayin or buy std pistons new and rings, scuff up cylinders for the rering. just my 2 cents worth. and valve job too of course.

·
Comfortably Numb
1,151 Posts
I have one that plugs into my phone. Paid $25 online and it work pretty good. I can even take pictures with it on the phone.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts