Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with a guy I hadn't seen in awhile - I'll call him "Tom" - retired postal carrier riding a 2006 Ultra Classic.

He has some local notoriety for pulling a gun on a guy and holding it to his head a few years back at a local bar because he thought the dude was drinking his beer. The dude was not drinking his beer - Tom likes to smoke "wet" and had a little too much chemical activity firing off in his brain at the time, so his mistake is understandable (if not defensible.)

Tom's life hasn't been one of stability in the classic sense, as you can well imagine. Financially he is a wreck, no one seems to like him, and he doesn't talk much.

But i learned one very fascinating thing about 'ole Tom which I wanted to share with you.

It seems that Tom paid off his Harley on time by selling his blood. According to him, he sold platelets, which I googled and appear to be a blood component vital to human physiological activity.

Every month, he made enough money from selling his blood to cover his bike payment. And according to Tom, he never missed a payment in seven years.

Now that is commitment!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Met up with a guy I hadn't seen in awhile - I'll call him "Tom" - retired postal carrier riding a 2006 Ultra Classic.

He has some local notoriety for pulling a gun on a guy and holding it to his head a few years back at a local bar because he thought the dude was drinking his beer. The dude was not drinking his beer - Tom likes to smoke "wet" and had a little too much chemical activity firing off in his brain at the time, so his mistake is understandable (if not defensible.)

Tom's life hasn't been one of stability in the classic sense, as you can well imagine. Financially he is a wreck, no one seems to like him, and he doesn't talk much.

But i learned one very fascinating thing about 'ole Tom which I wanted to share with you.

It seems that Tom paid off his Harley on time by selling his blood. According to him, he sold platelets, which I googled and appear to be a blood component vital to human physiological activity.

Every month, he made enough money from selling his blood to cover his bike payment. And according to Tom, he never missed a payment in seven years.

Now that is commitment!
That is awesome..... gave me a great idea!!! Since I save my Aluminum cans I am thinking I could start drinking more, this way I can cash the can's in every month in order to make a bike payment... If I'm a little short, I just need to consume a few more brewskis.... :know
Man, sorry to hear about "Tom".... That shit can sneak up on someone....

·
Ride Hard
802 Posts
That is awesome..... gave me a great idea!!! Since I save my Aluminum cans I am thinking I could start drinking more, this way I can cash the can's in every month in order to make a bike payment... If I'm a little short, I just need to consume a few more brewskis.... :know
Man, sorry to hear about "Tom".... That shit can sneak up on someone....
If you give blood then drink you can double your savings. :drunk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, here in Florida the blood banks that will pay for your blood varies from $35.00 to $50.00 and only let you donate 26 times a year or basically twice a month...But a kidney probably can pay for halve the cost of the bike...:whoa

·
Registered
870 Posts
I could get $135 every two weeks for selling plasma up here.

But they tell me that 'cause of the Anthrax vacs I took prior to being deployed I'm not eligible to sell.

So F' it, I just make my payment out of my retirement check.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
My oldest son, who has a good job, surprised me a few weeks ago. He's doing the same, selling his plasma to make the payment on his truck. Said he started doing it while in college to make beer money and figured, why stop.

Good plan, if you ask me, but I was turned down as well because of the vaccinations I had while in the Navy. :mad:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
In 1968 when I was an E-2 just out of basic training and assigned to the Army language school in Arlington, VA, my salary of about $80 a month was supplemented by selling blood regularly. Each "donation" was good enough for a large salad and a bottle of retsina at our favorite Greek restaurant.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I certainly hope Tom declared the income and paid his fair share of taxes on his blood money. Lord knows Obama can put the extra bucks to good use.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If you give blood then drink you can double your savings. :drunk
Plus, you get a lot smarter. Everyone knows that alcohol kills brain cells. But according to Darwin's theory of "Survial of the Fittest", the alcohol attacks the weakest cells, thereby leaving only the best brain cells. So not only are you generating more blood, you are getting smarter with each drink. That's the way I see it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts