Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically the other day while my rotors and wheels were out I decided to just test my brake a little. Yes I know very dumb big mistake lol. I never squeezed down all the way but just barely just to see. Anyways they’re stuck together now. Does anyone know how I would go about releasing them? I can look up solutions I just need to know what I should do about it first. Thanks in advance

·
Retired citizen
22,484 Posts
What joe said then pry them apart with a screwdriver or something. When ya get the wheel back in bleed the master cylinder to get the air out of the system.

·
weird member
2,047 Posts
Also, if you get them open enough off the bike, you can remove the pads and use a c-clamp to compress the caliper piston. That's what I do when I put new pads on (since obviously, new pads are thicker than old pads). On mine at least, I don't even have to crack the bleeder. Sometimes, I can even squeeze the piston in by hand (mine are single piston brakes).

If your pads got a lot of miles, don't stick anything like a screw driver between the pad material, you'll wreck it. If you got a really big, wide flat head screwdriver, you can set it flat-ways on the metal backing part of the pads if there's enough room, then twist the screw driver like you're screwing in. If you got two big flatheads, one on each side makes it easier. Or, if you twist it and it's not wide enough to catch the plate of both pads and separate, you can try twisting it long ways like a pry bar. If you only got the one, work back and forth on both sides of the pad.

It won't hurt anything when you put the caliper back on if it's too open and the pads aren't touching the rotor, all you gotta do is squeeze the brake until they close back onto the rotor, then pump up the pressure and bleed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts