Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've had :issues" with my brakes since day one. I've got an '04 FLSTC and I've never been satisfied with my braking performance. It stops OK and no sponginess but I just think it could be better. I've put a new rear MC kit in it, rebuilt front and rear calipers but still think it could be better when comparing to the wife's '12 FLSTN. Anyway this go 'round I noticed the brake light wasn't working when I applied the rear brakes so i replaced the switch and figured while I was at it, I'd change out the fluid completely. I bought a bleeder tool with the small hand pump and tested on the wife's bike. It worked like a charm and I was completely done in 20 min so I figured mine would be a breeze. First issue was I seem to have a leaky bleeder valve on the front caliper. It was constantly sucking air and it didn't seem like it was bleeding the line properly. Can you replace those bleeders? I finally got an OK lever after using almost a whole bottle of fluid so I figured I'd find out about replacing that bleeder before getting into that too far. The back seemed to be going ok but of course I ran out of fluid and it's time to go to work so I figured tomorrow is another day. any suggestions on the front caliper? shore of replacing the whole thing any suggestions? I'm ready to trash the HD system and go totally aftermarket!

·
Registered
363 Posts
they unscrew all the way and are replaceable, you can change the forks and hub and put duel disc like the touring bikes

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did solve the issue, seems the hose was letting air in around the bleeder valve. I manually bled the brakes and no air! I'm back in the wind with good pedal and lever pressure. I can really tell the difference with the new fluid in the lines.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Bleeding brakes can be frustrating. Glad you got it sorted out!

--

·
NevRL8
187 Posts
glad i found this thread!

i've never been happy with the front brake on my '07 FLSTC, but switching from a bike with dual front calipers (electraglide) there is gonna be some difference. after a near rear-end collision i decided i have to do something. have any of you switched out the stock HD front calipers for aftermarket with more pistons? say, a jaybrake with the six piston setup (3 per side)?
i know you can swap out the forks for a dual rotor setup but it's expensive and i'd like to try the bigger calipers IF THEY HELP.

anybody?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sleepy have you ever changed the fluid? By taking my caliper apart and cleaning it and changing the fluid the difference was amazing. I did the wife's '12 Deluxe the same way and it totally improved the stopping power and firmness of the lever pull.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts