Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could really use some help here guys...

A while ago I installed a new headlight housing from Headwinds. Looks great and the headlight works fine, but I noticed some time after that my brake lights don't work now.

I'm riding a 2012 FXS Blackline so it has two red lights on the rear that serve double duty as brake lights and turn signals.

Here's what's odd, the hazards and turn signals work fine (so I know the bulbs are OK and both filaments work). When I pull the brake lever or push the rear brake pedal, the lights do not brighten. The bike only has about 1K miles and I've never touched the controls so I don't think the switches are bad.

Any advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check simple stuff first, if you haven't already. Not familiar with your bike, but on some bikes (like mine) the stop light circuit is different from the running/turning light circuits. Check all fuses.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Blackline, but the rear brake light switch should be somewhere close to the rear master cylinder. It will have 2 wires that push on. Pull them off and jumper with a piece of wire with the ign. switch on. If they light, you can eliminate that, and look elsewhere.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Blackline, but the rear brake light switch should be somewhere close to the rear master cylinder. It will have 2 wires that push on. Pull them off and jumper with a piece of wire with the ign. switch on. If they light, you can eliminate that, and look elsewhere.
Actually if you jump the wire over and it does work like you state, would that not determine the switch is bad? Why look elsewhere. Just saying if you jump the wire and still no light then look elsewhere. But i would assume the switches are ok since both do not work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Actually if you jump the wire over and it does work like you state, would that not determine the switch is bad? Why look elsewhere. Just saying if you jump the wire and still no light then look elsewhere. But i would assume the switches are ok since both do not work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I was also assuming switches were ok as it's unlikely both would go bad at the same time. I was trying to see if the brake lights DO work when jumped, then the brake light wires are the problem, maybe in the new headlight shell. My 'splainin was bad, may still be, or the thought process.

After rethinking my advice, it's probably best to disregard jumping the wires, as if there's a problem with them, jumping probably won't make the lights come on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts